cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remotely check power supply..

bob.mckinley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WS-C3560G-48TS, (S/N FOC1117Z64V) and need to check whether or not the switch has redundant power supplies or not.  Is there a way to do that remotely or do I need to make a trip to the datacenter?  I did find the "show env" command and received the below results, but it doesn't necessary answer my question.

show env all
FAN is OK
TEMPERATURE is OK
Temperature Value: 42 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 56 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold    : 66 Degree Celsius
POWER is OK
RPS is NOT PRESENT

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to the data sheet, the switch does not come with internal redundant PSU and you need an external PSU (2300) to make it redundant.

Maximum power availability for a converged voice and data network is attainable when a Cisco Catalyst 3560 switch is combined with the Cisco RPS 2300 Redundant Power System for transparent protection against internal power supply failures and an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) system to safeguard against power outages.

Data sheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3560-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello,

there is a bug in IOS release 12.2(53)SE where only one power supply is displayed in "show env all".

The workaround is to upgrade to a 15.1 or.15.2 version...

What is the output of ''show environment power' ?

Thanks for the info Georg! The command response with "Power is OK" Looks like a trip to the Datacenter....

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to the data sheet, the switch does not come with internal redundant PSU and you need an external PSU (2300) to make it redundant.

Maximum power availability for a converged voice and data network is attainable when a Cisco Catalyst 3560 switch is combined with the Cisco RPS 2300 Redundant Power System for transparent protection against internal power supply failures and an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) system to safeguard against power outages.

Data sheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3560-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

HTH

Thanks Reza!

Glad to help Bob.

Good Luck!

Reza

Hello,

just for my clarification, would the redundant UPS connected to the redundant-power-supply receptacle not show up in 'show environment all', that is, would the output 'RPS is NOT PRESENT' not mean that there is nothing connected ?

As I understood it, the question was about redundant power supplies and not so much about INTERNAL redundant power supplies ? Or I might have misunderstood what OP was asking...

Good follow up question Georg.. Back in the day, waaay back, I was around when this unit was installed, so I know a separate power supply unit was not purchased or installed with it, but didn't recall if the unit by default had a second internal power supply. My own research came up with conflicting results hence post of the question if there was a way for me to tell, without me having to physically go to the datacenter. When Reza pointed out in the datasheet there is no default internal option for a second power supply I knew we only have the one. But again that's a good question for future reference for anyone that may have the separate unit, if it would show up or not in the command line.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!!

Hello,

good stuff...that clarifies it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card