Views
Helpful
Replies

How to replace a VTP server Switch

Rob R.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to replace an existing 3560 Switch with another switch of the same exact model and IOS. However, this switch that needs to be replaced is the VTP Server of my LAN at this location. When I replace the switch I will just use the same exact running config but I'm concerned about the vlan.dat file. Do I need to copy that file over to the new replacement switch and if so, what is the best way to do that?

Thank you.           

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The n why noit make the vtp server switch transparent..

Once you do that you should see all the VLANS in the config..

Then simply config them in the new switch.,

View solution in original post

Hello

If all you other switches are in transparent mode and before you promote one of these to a vtp server make sure the existing vtp server has all the vlans for the estate in its database

Once you're promote a switch to vtp server it will inherit all the vtp database and it revision number also.

Then you can remove the old vtp server from the network

Once the new switch has been configured of line with the correct vtp domain/password (if applicable) and before adding it to the existing network change to vtp mode to transparent and back to client. This will revert the revision number to 0 and when added to the network will receive its vtp config from the new vtp server you promoted earlier.

On a side note - for future reference - A new switch in either vtp server or client mode with default configuration has the potential to overwrite your vtp domain thus wiping out the vtp config for the whole estate

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

Make another switch a VTP server in case you need to add/delete vlans etc

Then replace the switch.

Do not create any vlans on the new switch. You need to keep the VTP revision number LOWER on the new switch than in your network.

Once you trunk the new switch into another vtp switch all the VTP info will be loaded.

Thanks for the swift reply, however, every other switch on the network there is set to "vtp mode transparent" and I cannot make them Server. Any suggestions?

The n why noit make the vtp server switch transparent..

Once you do that you should see all the VLANS in the config..

Then simply config them in the new switch.,

Hello

If all you other switches are in transparent mode and before you promote one of these to a vtp server make sure the existing vtp server has all the vlans for the estate in its database

Once you're promote a switch to vtp server it will inherit all the vtp database and it revision number also.

Then you can remove the old vtp server from the network

Once the new switch has been configured of line with the correct vtp domain/password (if applicable) and before adding it to the existing network change to vtp mode to transparent and back to client. This will revert the revision number to 0 and when added to the network will receive its vtp config from the new vtp server you promoted earlier.

On a side note - for future reference - A new switch in either vtp server or client mode with default configuration has the potential to overwrite your vtp domain thus wiping out the vtp config for the whole estate

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

HI,

Yes I agree wit hthis, Convert one vtp client to server

Later you can connect the new switch as a server and it will learn the VTP Vlan database.

Before connecting new switch verify on the new switch that:

the vtp domain name is the same as the one used in your network

the revision number is 0

and in the future it is better to have two VTP servers in your network.

A VTP server is still a device that accepts VTP advertisements from other devices

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Yohane
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar issue, I have a 3650-48P as a VTP Server and a 3850-24XS as a VTP Client. I want the 3850 to become a VTP Server. To may knowledge, I will configure 3650 to transparent mode, then 3850 to VTP Server mode then change back 3650 to Client mode. I just want to double check this right because if anything goes wrong, its a very big estate, over 60 switches.

This for VTP v1 or v2? If so, both in same VTP domain with same rev? If so, sequence of role change doesn't matter. You can change either role's from server to client or client to server, whenever. You can have no servers or multiple servers. The only thing special about the "server", it allows you to make VLAN configuration changes on the switch.

Yes all the configurations (Same VTP version, Same Domain, same Revision Number) Thanks for your input 

". . . Same VTP version . . ."

Right, but VTPv3, I recall, is much more involved when changing roles. I believe v3 server role is much more restrictive, to avoid "accidentally" introducing a switch to a VTP domain and changing the VTP database.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card