Views
Helpful
Replies

How to save running-config to a text file

MKCHAURASIA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I manage lot of router and switch my problem is before I do any changes to configuration file I want to save a copy of it

if I do sh run using putty it just displays one page worth of information and I have to do copy paste one page at a time

is there any easier method to copy paste entire running config to a text file ?

Thanks

18 Replies 18

jotran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for an equivalent command to "show running | file $fn" in XML on IOS XR routers.

The command or steps I am looking for will help me save a running config in xml format to a file

on the router.

thanks

Joseph

shaqxify
Level 1
Level 1

Where Does Putty Save The File?

Hello

You have a few options:

1) You can save the running config from a terminal enumerator such as putty as already suggested

2) tftp/ftp/scp to a file share - As already suggested
3) You can save the running-config to flash and then if need be restore it from flash

copy running-config flash:STAN.tst
configure replace flash:STAN.tst

4) enable archive and rollback which will rollback the old configuration if not confirmed (Just like in Junos)

config
archive
path flash:STAN
exit

configure replace flash:STAN-0  time 10

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

CoolPraZ
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure the USB formatted as FAT32

then from enable mode....

# copy running-config usb:<filename.txt>

Hope this tip is useful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card