cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup VLANs for new security cameras on existing Catalyst 3560s and 3845 Router

erikahess
Level 1
Level 1

Forgive me as I am not an expert.  I have 3 Catalyst 3560s (a MB, GB, and X) and a 3845 router.   I have 6 new security cameras (IP) that will be added to the network next week.  I do not have any separate VLANs setup right now and know I should get another VLAN setup for the cameras.  I know the Catalyst 3560s are layer 3 devices, but I also have a router.  What is the best way to setup the routing?  On the router or the switches?  I don't have the router connected directly to each switch right now nor do I have the switch ports avaiblale on the router to directly connect each switch to it.  I have a 3560x in building b, a 3560G and the 3560MB building a.  Building b and building a are connected by fiber through a HP Procurve swtich at building b and the 3560G in building a.  The HP Procurve is connected to the 3560X in building b with fiber.   

The 6 cameras will be connected to the 3560 MB switch.

I have another security camera connected to the 3560X switch in building b.

The NVR server is on the 3560X switch in building b.

How do I setup the VLAN to add my security cameras? 

36 Replies 36

Good.

You'll definetely need to tagged vlan 20 on both port 25 and 26 on the HP switch, otherwise from switch 3560x, you wont be able to access the cameras on 3560MB and viceversa.

And one more thing. Did you configured vlan 20 on your main router?

Regards,

Terence

I've attached a txt document based on your config.

This is what I had added to the 3845 router.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.20

encapsulation dot1Q 20

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

But what about your vlan1??

You should configured it like you did for vlan 20.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1

make sure u do a no shut under interface Gi0/0.

Have you checked the config i sent you?

Regards,

Terence

Router Config Before adding 0/0.1

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description blah blah

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxY xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ip route-cache same-interface

duplex auto

speed auto

media-type rj45

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.20

encapsulation dot1Q 20

I know I did something wrong, because I took down the gateway when I added 0/0.1

I type this... 

fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1

And I lost connection, I ran down to the router and consoled in. Tried to add this...

Got the error message, address overlaps int gigabitethernet0/0. 

I then just did no encapsulation dot1q 1 on fa0/0.1 and can now reach my gateway again. 

I just didn't follow your instructions, Terrance.  No that I fixed the fa0/0 and sub interfaces I need to tackle the HP swtich again. 

I followed the config.txt and ran into problems.

3560MB - config ok

3560GB - config ok

3845 router - config ok

Configured HP Procurve...

VLAN1 - untagged 1-26 - was already setup that way

VLAN20 - tagged 25 & 26

Then I added on ports 25 & 26 TRK1 & Trunk to the interfaces.  I lost connection to the 3560X & the 3845 VLAN20 virtual interface fa0/0.20. 

Consoled into the 3560X and setup the conifg OK.

I went back to the Procurve and Removed the TRK1 & Trunk port settings on interfaces 25 & 26.  I was then able to ping the 3560, 3845 (both fa0/0.1 & fa0/0.20). 

I just flat confused.  I thought the procurve 2626 had to have the ports configured as trunks, but I can still access the VLAN20 addresses so I'm not sure. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card