Views
Helpful
Replies

How to take backup and restore config file

hamzashahid
Level 1
Level 1

hi 

this is hamza shahid i need little help here which is about taking backup and restore config file of switches and routers.

For example i telnet my switch or router and just go to that command which says just upload config file into switch from my computer and vice versa for backup.

kindly guide me with an easy way to do this all.

and another thing is can i use packet tracer config files for real switches?

Best Regards:

HAMZA SHAHID

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

they all work the same , tftp is blockaded on a lot of networks but if you can use that here is a guide below , scp you need to come from linux machine , i would leave original ios version on it not remove it

https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/06/upgrade-cisco-ios-image/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
what method re you going to use to backup ? ftp/tftp /scp etc whats setup on your client end where the config is going to be sent to , the configs can automatically be backed up to the local flash too as another option

not sure about PT dont use it but you could copy the sh run off a device in PT to a text file and then save it as a .cfg and it could be uploaded to Cisco device no problem

i was asking to u that how to do that, i have a switch which is 2960G and connected through console so i will download lanbase image of K9 and then want to update my switch image , i don't want to use tftp & ftp or etc i just want that just upload my image from my system through console and then update my switch image so kindly let me know that way to do this all

Best Regards:

HAMZA SHAHID

the reason im saying that is because you have to pick a protocol you cant do that over console , other option is if your switch has direct usb port you can transfer from that to the switch

hmm ok so i think tftp server will be an easy option for that what do u say? , i just want to go with an easy way so if it is easy (tftp) then tell me how to make it all

like i setup vlan 2 and given ip to its interface whcih is 10.5.5.5 255.255.255.0 and on other side i use ip as a host 10.5.5.6 255.255.255.0 and make it tftp server 

then what commands will i use to get that bin file from tftp server and then with what command how will i install or update my switch image.

Thanks,

Best Regards:

HAMZA SHAHID

they all work the same , tftp is blockaded on a lot of networks but if you can use that here is a guide below , scp you need to come from linux machine , i would leave original ios version on it not remove it

https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/06/upgrade-cisco-ios-image/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card