cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to test SNMP credentials in Solarwinds?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

I have a new device that is not polling SNMP. It replaced another device in which SNMP did work properly, but now this device does not work and all the configs are the same on the device. Isn't there a way I can test credentials within Solarwinds without removing the current credentials (must hit submit, and if creds are not the issue, I am not sure how hard it is to find what the previous and/or current PW credentials were before hitting submit as it is just represented as a dot and not the character).

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes there is a way to test. If you navigate to edit the node, there should be a button after the SNMP information that says "Validate SNMP" or "Poll". Going off memory here so I don't remember the exact wording for it.

Also, I'm assuming we're talking SNMPv3 here. On Cisco devices, the "snmp-server user" configured for SNMPv3 doesn't appear on the running-config. So, it could be a possibility that this information was missed and not properly transferred over from the old device.

View solution in original post

Ok thanks for clarifying on the testing!

On a better note, I had someone confirm with the remote NEs and yes, they cut and pasted so that has to be it! Thanks bro!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would have to know and enter the correct credentials before SW can pull the device.

Yes creds for SNMP in Solarwinds never changed - device that swapped out old device supposedly has the same configs. The thing is, I can re-enter SNMP creds in Solarwinds using creds we believe are correct, however it appears the passwords are shorted then what is showing in Solarwinds right now. If I enter these and click submit, it may be a while to find out what the previous password was if it is not the problem. I thought there was a way to simply test what creds I want to try out in Solarwinds without actually overwriting current creds and/or submitting them. Am I making any sense?

Hello,

Though the new device "supposedly" has the same configurations, have you tried to reconfigure the SNMP password on both the new device and Solarwinds? Maybe even use a simpler password for testing purposes. You can also enable some snmp debugs on the new device and verify the errors displayed.

From my understanding, I don't think you can view passwords in Solarwinds.  

No I have not tried to reconfigure anything. Basically, I am very new here, alone right now, and I don't even have access to the remote device. I have some creds that are supposedly correct, however I don't want to try and enter them in Solarwinds (I do have access to this) and clicking "Submit" thus erasing the current passwords - my password and the number of dots representing the current password in Solarwinds is not the same. I am not sure if Solarwinds will actually show you the amount of characters with the dots or if that is just a default of something. Whatever the case, I thought there was a way within Solarwinds to test SNMP credentials without actually submitting or changing anything permanently?

Yes there is a way to test. If you navigate to edit the node, there should be a button after the SNMP information that says "Validate SNMP" or "Poll". Going off memory here so I don't remember the exact wording for it.

Also, I'm assuming we're talking SNMPv3 here. On Cisco devices, the "snmp-server user" configured for SNMPv3 doesn't appear on the running-config. So, it could be a possibility that this information was missed and not properly transferred over from the old device.

Yes under "Edit Node" there are "Poll" and "Rediscover" which I have tried. There is a "Test" button at the bottom of all the SNMP fields but appears to apply only to one field as it is directly under the "Credential Set" field. I enter the creds I have under the Authentication and Encryption fields (thus overwriting current creds) but don't hit submit at the very bottom but click "Test" under that "Credential Set Library"field and the test fails. I am not sure if this is how you test it.

I don't have access to the remote device as of now - yes I am trying to do what I can with these disabilities unfortunately. That is a good point about the RunConf. I hope it is something like that, but I would have to wait to get access to the device next week maybe. I don't even have permissions withing Solarwinds to view before and current device configs.

Yes, that is how you test. And with the test saying it failed, it is because there's a mismatch between Solarwinds config of that node and the network device itself. So without being able to manage that network device to verify if the user exists, "show snmp user", as well as the snmp config itself, there isn't much else you can do.

Ok thanks for clarifying on the testing!

On a better note, I had someone confirm with the remote NEs and yes, they cut and pasted so that has to be it! Thanks bro!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card