cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to treat 2960 switch as hub?

HWangLoyalty_2
Level 1
Level 1

when I plug in any ports in our office, my laptop could be assgined IP address from DHCP server automatically. Right now we need 24 ports connection in our meeting room. So I would like to let 2960 (factory configure)connect our regular ports, if it could get IP address (like 192.168.2.10)from DHCP server, other workstations connected to 2960 switch are able to get network connection with the same IP address. It looked like we will treat 2960 switch as hub,right? But how to configure it? Thanks a lot.

3 Replies 3

russellra
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure I understand your need. Do you want the 2960 to simply support DHCP and allow anyone/laptop connect to an access port and get an address in the scope? If so, this is as simple as it gets. Log into the switch and restore the default configuration. In privileged exec mode 'write erase' the config and reload. Connect the switch via any port to an non-trunked access port on the upstream switch which is in the Vlan of choice AND has portfast enabled. If you want to manage the switch you will need to provide a layer-3 address in the Vlan, otherwise it will effectively be an unmanaged switch (not a hub).

yes,it is my requirement. It looked like there is nothing to configure in the 2960 switch. I will test it tomorrow!

Great. Post your results.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card