cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade 6509-E Supervisor Engine.

k_bhavsar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have one Cisco 6509-E switch with WS-SUP32-GE-3B supervisor engine. Now i want to upgrade my supervisor engine with VS-S2T-10G .

At present i have only one WS-SUP32-GE-3B Sup card connected to switch but now I have to install 2 new SUP-2T cards on same switch.

Please guide me on this upgrade procedure with steps.

Thanks

KB

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

do you have to keep the 6509 online for this or do you have a maintenance window , I know you can sync between certain sups once the flash and ram match even if there different types not sure about these 2 though but if I was doing it I would get a window , shutdown the 6500 pull the flash card from the sup32 then put the new image on the flash card bring up the 6500 on the new sup2T , then pop in the other sup and sync between them and get the redundancy setup

One thing to note on a 6509E the sup2T must be used in slots 5 and 6 only

Supervisor Engine 32, Supervisor Engine 32 PISA, Supervisor Engine 720, Supervisor Engine 720-10GE, and Supervisor Engine 2T must be installed in slot 5 or slot 6.

you would want to configure SSO stateful switchover between the sups too

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SY/configuration/guide/sy_swcg/stateful_switchover.html#17781

redundancy
 main-cpu
  auto-sync running-config
  auto-sync bootvar
 mode sso

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card