cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Upgrade 6513 running dual supervisors in SSO mode

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

You don't ugrade a 6513 IOS (they are not being used in actual VSS infrastructure)  the same way as let's say a 2960 switch. Basically I have a 6513 running dual SUPs in SSO mode. I see that in Cisco instructions there are different procedures for upgrading IOS of a 6513 with redundant Supervisor Engines and MSFC that runs in Hybrid mode, upgrading in Native mode, etc.

How do I know if my 6513 switches (x2) are in these modes?

What else should I be cautios of before doing the updrade (I already know SUPs have enough RAM, config is backed up, etc.)?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Copy the IOS into each individual supervisor card;
2. Verify each IOS to make sure each file copied is not corrupt;
3. Change the boot variable string;
4. Ensure the config-registry value is 0x2102;
5. Save the config; and
6. Reboot.

View solution in original post

If you read the document that I gave you your running Native Mode SINCE you're using IOS

Hybrid is for CatOS. To make it short CatOS was the grandma of cisco's firmware, im guessing your ios obviously soo native :)

Leo perfectly summarizes what you need to do to upgrade your Chassis. If you need the cli command on how to execute it, just read the document/link i gave you

Also dont overthink it. Chassis switches have very different architecture than 2960 but the upgrade isnt that really hyper difficult, it is still and IOS firmware. Once you upgrade the supervisor, the sup automatically upgrades the line-cards. Of course as long as the firmware supports it.

On that note please:

1. MAKE SURE that your target firmware supports your current line cards :) very important haha 

2. Backup backup backup

Hope this helps

Nope, that's just the guide how to upgrade:
You can find it on the Release notes of your target firmware

7 Replies 7

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Basically you want to upgrade your Supervisors in your Chassis? Your chassis is running two(2) supervisors. Refer to the link below, it should contain all the necessary info you need. It's what we use when we upgrade dual-sup setups

Dual-Sup Upgrade Guide/Setup Example

Yes I need to upgrade the SUPs on the Chassis which is running 2 redundant Sups in SSO mode.
One thing I am having trouble finding out is if the switch is running in hybrid mode or native mode as I am not quite sure how to tell. Do you happen to know how to make sure?
Also, upgrading the SUPs is the only way to upgrade the IOS of these as opposed to how you simply just upgrade the regular IOS in lets say a 2960 or smaller Catalyst switch correct? Meaning I don't upgrade SUPs then still need to upgrade another IOS because the ROM, bootloader, etc. is all in the SUPs correct?

If you read the document that I gave you your running Native Mode SINCE you're using IOS

Hybrid is for CatOS. To make it short CatOS was the grandma of cisco's firmware, im guessing your ios obviously soo native :)

Leo perfectly summarizes what you need to do to upgrade your Chassis. If you need the cli command on how to execute it, just read the document/link i gave you

Also dont overthink it. Chassis switches have very different architecture than 2960 but the upgrade isnt that really hyper difficult, it is still and IOS firmware. Once you upgrade the supervisor, the sup automatically upgrades the line-cards. Of course as long as the firmware supports it.

On that note please:

1. MAKE SURE that your target firmware supports your current line cards :) very important haha 

2. Backup backup backup

Hope this helps

Thanks bro you guys are a tremendous help! Glad you mentioned the line cards because the whole reason behind it is because of a bug that caused ports on the line cards to go down or something like that so now that I have arrived I have been told to upgrade it. I take it the info about if the IOS supports the line cards are in this document?

Nope, that's just the guide how to upgrade:
You can find it on the Release notes of your target firmware

Ok thanks!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Copy the IOS into each individual supervisor card;
2. Verify each IOS to make sure each file copied is not corrupt;
3. Change the boot variable string;
4. Ensure the config-registry value is 0x2102;
5. Save the config; and
6. Reboot.