cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade SUP IOS on 6513 switch running dual SUPs and running SSO

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

I need to upgrade the supervisor IOS on a 6513 that has dual SUPs and is running in redundant SSO. Has anyone done this before. I know if I don't do certain things it can cause a lot of problems since it is running redundant SUPs.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Oh, ok.  So, you just want to upgrade the IOS and not the hardware.

In that case, read the release notes for whatever version you are trying to upgrade to, load the image in both sups, Change the boot variable to reflect the new image, save config and have a maintenance window to reboot the chassis.  Also, before doing any of these, make a good copy of the current running config in case something goes wrong during the upgrade.

HTH

View solution in original post

When you issue the failover command it is as good as rebooting the entire chassis because, in reality, it will do just that.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What Sup are you trying to upgrade to?  What type of chassis do you have?

Have a look at this document?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Sup_Eng_Guide/supe_gd/01overvw.html

If you have to upgrade the power supplies and fan trays, it maybe easier and cheaper to use a 6800 chassis instead.

HTH

The SUPs I have on the 6513 are:

Supervisor Engine 720 10GE

Model: VS-S720-10G

Right now we are only upgrading the SUPS. The current IOS of the 6513 is 12.2(33)SXI4a

Ok, so you already have E chassis and should be able to go from VS-S720-10G to Sup-2T with no issues.  You have to check to make sure the current modules are completable with 2T. 

here is the data sheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-supervisor-engine-2t/data_sheet_c78-648214.html

HTH

I am a bit confused sorry. I am just upgrading the image of the VS-S720-10G and not swapping out the actual module.

Oh, ok.  So, you just want to upgrade the IOS and not the hardware.

In that case, read the release notes for whatever version you are trying to upgrade to, load the image in both sups, Change the boot variable to reflect the new image, save config and have a maintenance window to reboot the chassis.  Also, before doing any of these, make a good copy of the current running config in case something goes wrong during the upgrade.

HTH

On some Cisco instructions it does not call for a reboot after issuing the hardware module-reset X commands as I assume once doing that, it fails over to the other SUP while upgrading one of the SUPs. Am I mistaken?

When you issue the failover command it is as good as rebooting the entire chassis because, in reality, it will do just that.

Also I am a bit confused. Is it the same IOS that is shown when issuing the dir sup-bootflash: command the same IOS that is shown on the show version command on these 6513s? Reason I ask is because when searching for the software to download on Cisco.com, nothing comes up when searching for the current software on my 6513s which is s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a, but doing another search of the 12.2(46)SE that software comes up and also displays a s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a type name so I assume they are the same thing correct?

Reza is correct (below).

1.  Copy the IOS into each individual supervisor card;
2.  Verify each IOS to make sure each file copied is not corrupt;
3.  Change the boot variable string;
4.  Ensure the config-registry value is 0x2102;
5.  Save the config; and
6.  Reboot.

On the Cisco instructions it does not say to reboot after issuing the hardware module-reset X command as it failsover to the other SUP while doing the upgrade. Am I mistaken?

Also I am a bit confused. Is it the same IOS that is shown when issuing the dir sup-bootflash: command the same IOS that is shown on the show version command on these 6513s? Reason I ask is because when searching for the software to download on Cisco.com, nothing comes up when searching for the current software on my 6513s which is s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a, but doing another search of the 12.2(46)SE that software comes up and also displays a s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a type name so I assume they are the same thing correct?

Also I am a bit confused. Is it the same IOS that is shown when issuing the di r sup-boo tflash : command the same IOS that is shown on the show version command on these 6513s? Reason I ask is because when searching for the software to download on Cisco.com, nothing comes up when searching for the current software on my 6513s which is s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a, but doing another search of the 12.2(46)SE that software comes up and also displays a s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a type name so I assume they are the same thing correct?

This is the link for the release notes I am using. It does not state to reboot.

This is the link for the release notes I am using. It does not state to reboot.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card