cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use Linksys WET610N WIFI bridge with gigabit switch?

rtadwalk
Level 1
Level 1

Quick networking question related to my home network shown below-

Comcast Cable Modem -> Linksys router (older one-WRT54G) -> Linksys wifi bridge WET610N -> Netgear 8-port gigabit switch -> network of desktop, 3 laptops, 2 network laser/inkjet printers, and a Seagate NAS device.

Question is- After connecting the gigabit switch into the wireless bridge, do I still have to connect the switch to the router? I don't need that anymore? Asking because I plan to move as much stuff to garage as possible. Before I upgrade to N router (such as E3000 or E4200),I wanted to use the wifi bridge between the switch and the existing G router, so that I can move most of those to garage.

I tried both tried static/dynamic IP when configuring the bridge for G router, but I still cannot use the bridge via the switch.

Thus far, I got one response on Amazon reviews about similar use case, but I want to have 2nd opinion with networking gurus at Cisco. Here is the URL to Amazon review that was closely related to my situation:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R15UE4IG6SGQ40/ref=cm_cr_rev_detup_redir?_encoding=UTF8&cdPage=1&asin=B001QVQ7JU&newContentNum=3&store=electronics&newContentID=Mx25RLUPNEGNBSP#Mx2O484AS5W7T2O

Let me know if you can suggest something.

Thanks,

Ravi

1 Reply 1

rtadwalk
Level 1
Level 1

Contacted live chat support,  Avinash (70688I asked me to try to connect the bridge directly to a laptop and see if disabling the laptop's wifi still get's it the router admin page! He wants to rule out the possibility of faulty switch that way, which does not look like the case since the switch is giving me internet and LAN access.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card