Views
Helpful
Replies

how to use sniffer on Packet tracer

Salim.H.H
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon everyone,

I have assignment that i need to create full "Network", using all device like switch, hub, server ..etc.

The problem that i force that i need to use "Sniffer" its first time to me using that device.

I need help how can i configure or connect the Sniffer with my network, Because i search on internet i don't find anythings about configure or connect sniffer on packet tracer.   

Please help me to solve and finish my assignment.

Regards;

Salim

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
connect the laptop to the switch , run wireshark on the laptop and select the local GB adapter in the settings on main screen that's connected to the switch and press start and it will start capturing traffic , stop to stop it , this guide below shows a quick use of it

https://www.howtogeek.com/104278/how-to-use-wireshark-to-capture-filter-and-inspect-packets/

changtim
Level 1
Level 1

changtim_0-1664850822948.png

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

Connect the sniffer to the switch.
On the switch, enter these commands so that the packets are duplicated and forwarded to the sniffer:

S(config)#monitor session 1 source interface f0/x <--if you want to sniff packets from only one interface

or

S(config)#monitor session 1 source vlan <n°> <--if you want to sniff packets from an entire vlan

S(config)#monitor session 1 destination interface f0/x <--interface where the sniffer is connected

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco