Views
Helpful
Replies

How to verify primary and secondary links in a router

girish_p1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 4 links in my router but from 2 different ISPs. in 4 links 3 links are bundled as Multilink and 4th one is separated. We have run BGP in our router as routing protocol. How can I check the primary link and secondary link in my router for traffic? 3 bundled links are from one ISP and 1 is from other ISP.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

or try:

Router#show ip bgp neighbors | include BGP neighbor is | Interface associated

which renders the output below:

BGP neighbor is 192.168.12.2, remote AS 2, external link
Interface associated: GigabitEthernet0/0 (peering address in same link)

what do you want to check, the traffic going over these interfaces ? Try:

show interfaces multilink

Yes. Let me explain more. There are ISP links from 2 different ISPs. Multilink is from one ISP and another single link is from different ISP. I want to check that from which interface is my current traffic is flowing. And the one from which the traffic is flowing at a given moment, is this one set as primary link or not ? How to check that ? Like for example if my traffic is flowing from the single link, how can I check that this one is set as primary or secondary ?

Remember that this is a LAN protocol, and as far as I know, you cannot establish a BGP adjacency from the standby IP.  If you configure BGP on the LAN interface, it will attempt to establish the session using the configured IP address, and you will end up having two sessions to the remote router.  But if you have two sessions, you can use the methods I mention above to choose a primary router.

BGP does not have an active/standby feature:  If your hardware doesn't support it (to fail-over to back-up hardware with the same IP and layer-2 addresses, as some firewalls can do), you are stuck with creating two BGP sessions.
1a)  The secondary starts forwarding as soon as BGP detects that the adjacency is down.  If it is a physical failure, it can be in a matter of milliseconds.  But a silent failure on the neighbor (if the local interface stays up) will only be detected if the hold timer expires (by default up to 180 seconds).  But you can configure the hold-time to a lower value.

1b)  There is no aditional delay in forwarding traffic over the second link.  The lower weight has got nothing to do with forwarding speed, and prepending AS numbers to the BGP routes being advertised does not slow it down either.  Weight and the AS number count are only properties of the route, like 'metric' in OSPF or 'hop-count' in RIP, that influence which route is preferred.

2) If you leave all settings at default, some destinations will be routed over one link, and other to the second.  If one of the links fail, BGP should converge (once it detects the failure, as in 1a above) to forward all traffic over the other link.  If the links are the same capacity, this is recommended, but if the second link is only scoped for a back-up supplying minimum functionality, you will be better of implementing the configs above to force all rules over a single link, when available.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card