cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HP server lost connection to a 6509 switch issue

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

a customer had a hp server lose network connection to a 6509 switch , he tried to remove and return the network cable with no avail until he restarted the server that when the network connection came back , the problem the customer opened a ticket for the issue but the server support without checking the server are saying the switch is to blame , i believe it is very unlikely that the switch is the problem but i need to provide a response . im thinking should i provide the "show interface" to check  the interface and "show log" to prove nothing is wrong with switch side?

correction: the server was restarted to fix the problem not the switch

23 Replies 23

Hello

@baselzind wrote:
but this doesn't make any sense? because that mean the server isnt working which the IT team would know because it is a oracle server

I have to chuckle with that statement im afraid!! --  Server guys "always" say its nothing to do with their kit, its always a network fault 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Ok, how about we try something ...
1. Clear the interface counters of the port;
2. Get the owners remote into the server and ping the server IP address.
3. If with #2, they can ping the server IP address (from the same server), ping the IP default gateway.
4. If with #3, they can ping the IP default gateway (from the same server), check the interface counter of the port if Packet Input is incrementing or not.

unfortunately i already closed the ticket as i cant replicate the issue and from what im seeing the switch is fine

sorry the server was restarted not the switch

Hello

it is possible that due to spanning convergence on the switchport the server timed out - another possibly is port security or storm control initiating  

As this is a server suggest to apply stp portfast on the access/trunk port.

if you do have port security /storm control then maybe think about err-recovery if a port violation occurs and if the server supports it maybe even flow control 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

how would the spanning tree convergence time out while the server is still connected and up and running?

Hello

@baselzind wrote:
how would the spanning tree convergence time out while the server is still connected and up and running?

Depending of you stp mode, it could take up 50 seconds to reestablish a connection if the switchport(s) for some reason flapped and this stp converge value can be sometimes to long for certain nics to reestablish connection,So  enabling stp portfast negates this convergence time and automatically puts the port(s) into a forwarding state so the nics are able to reestablish communication a lot faster.

Note: I am not saying this is your root cause just suggesting its a possibility along with the other suggests pertaining to port-security and storm control

Kind Regards
Paul

we expect some logs from switch, since switch not rebooted. can you post the relavant logs to understand and also port configuraiton.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

im planned to go check the switch along with the server people , please fill me in if im missing commands other than the following for checking?

-show interface "port" controller

-show log

-show run int "port"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: