cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and IP Redirects (Nexus 9k)

njsanders1
Level 1
Level 1

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Well, it isn't broken, but I want to ensure that I don't run into problems in the event of a failure.

I have a pair of 9k's (N9k1 & N9k2) set up as HSRP for a number of VLANs, with N9k1 as the active for each.  On N9k1, the config is as follows (and is identical for every VLAN):

interface Vlan100
  no ip redirects
  ip address 1.1.1.2/24
  no ipv6 redirects
  ip ospf passive-interface
  ip router ospf 1 area 0.0.0.0
  hsrp version 2
  hsrp 100
      preempt delay minimum 180
      priority 105
      timers 1 3
      ip 1.1.1.1

On N9k1, the config is as follows:

interface VLAN100

ip address 1.1.1.3/24
   ip ospf passive-interface
   ip router ospf 1 area 0.0.0.0
   hsrp version 2
   hsrp 100
      preempt delay minimum 180
      timers 1 3
      ip 1.1.1.1

If N9k1 should fail and N9k2 takes over, will the exclusion of no ip redirects on the latter create any issues?  I understand that, in normal operation, we don't want hosts to learn the interface-level IP address, which is one reason why the no ip redirects command is in place in the first place.  Would this not be the case in an HSRP-failover state as well, i.e., we still want traffic directed to the VIP rather than the interface IP? 

Also, as information, I am presently seeing a large number of ICMP redirects on N9k2.  Is this merely a product of having an HSRP configuration in place and considered normal in this scenario?  Or is it (as it often can be) an indication of a potential routing problem?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not know enough about your environment to give very insightful answers. I do not understand why you do configure no ip redirects on one but not on the other N9K. We certainly do not know enough about your environment to be able to say whether the redirects that you see on N9K2 are related to HSRP. As a starting point what address are the redirects for?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card