cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and point to point

memcats
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring a point to point on a switch that is setup for HSRP, and I will be creating an SVI to hand off the layer two vlan to another switch on the other side of the point 2 point. Since this is a point to point, I believe there will be no need to configure the SVI with hsrp. And I only need to place the SVI on the switch that will have the point to point connection connected to it. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Understood, everything looks fine at the moment. Feel free to ping me in you encounter any issue or need more info.

Good Luck!!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Got confused with point-to-point statement. Can you elaborate more and without SVI, you will be doing HSRP on the layer 3 interface on the switch ?

Can you please draw a rough diagram or elaborate more ?

We have two 6500s configured as HSRP, switches A and B

we will have a third switch, switch C, that will connect to switch B via a i gig WAN connection

I will create the same SVI on switch A and B

The igig WAN link will connect to a gig port on switch B

Switch B and switch C will connect via a layer 2 trunk link

I will allow only the vlan of the SVI on the trunk port

In the event that switch B fails, I can manually move the connection to a gig port on switch A

And since there is only one path between switch B and switch C, there should not be any danger of any layer 2 loops

basically want I am doing is extending a voice vlan to a partner company that is moving to a new location, and our connection will be a contingency plan in the event they aren't ready with their voice network.

thanks in advance 

Hi,

Much clear now, you can have one more connection from switch C to switch A. You can keep every thing as switchport with trunk and only allow required vlan.

you can make switch B as spanning tree root for this vlan also in addition to HSRP active for this SVI.

SWITCH A will be secondary root for spanning tree for this vlan and passive HSRP for this vlan.

With this design, you will not encounter any loop issue also.

So with above design, you will be having redundant connection to reach to the required SVI without any need for Manu switchover when switch went down.

Hello,

We will have only one wan connection from switch C to switch B, therefore, since it is only one connection there shouldn't be any spanning tree issues.

thanks!!!

okay understood.  WAN side is clear, so incase of disaster, you will manually move the connection to SW-A. You will make SWA ready with IP on same subnet or maybe with same IP right ?

How about the LAN behind the two Core switches, how they will reach Switch A when Switch B is down ? you mentioned that HSRP is running already for your LAN SVI's between these two cores right ? 

If you want to keep manual approach, then all looks good. HSRP is required on LAN side only so you will be fine with that if there is already. For automate setup if you want, you can add one more interface from WAN router to Switch A, you can go with Point to point interfaces or SVI using trunk/access and run Routing protocol like OSPF.  There might be multiple ways to do that but i recently did it using BVI interface on WAN Router, Under BVI, i mapped my two LAN side interfaces going to two core switches and then run OSPF on the segment.

Hello,

This should be very simple. Basically all I am doing is handing our business partner a layer two vlan via a wan interface that will be configured as a trunk and I am only allowing the one vlan to go across the trunk to our business partner.

Yes in the event that switch B fails I can manually move the WAN connection to switch A as I have a svi configured on switch A in the same subnet that is on switch B.

Switch C will be located in our business partner location.

thx

Understood, everything looks fine at the moment. Feel free to ping me in you encounter any issue or need more info.

Good Luck!!

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

To summarise,: switchA has VLAN-A configured only at Layer2 (ie no SVI).

You are connecting switchA to switchB

switchB will be configured with the SVI for VLAN-A

There will be no need to configure a VLAN-A SVI on switchA unless you intend for devices on VLAN-A to use switchA as their gateway. Configure devices on VLAN-A to use switchB SVI as their gateway.

Simply trunk VLAN-A to switchB. This is not a point to point link, but a trunk link. A point to point link operates at Layer3 typically with just to interfaces present.

You do not need to configure HSRP in this topology. HSRP should be configured when you have two routers on a segment which provide routes to the same subset of prefixes, ie, routing redundancy.

cheers,

Seb.

I have two switches A and B configured as HSRP cores, we will have a layer two trunk, 1 gig WAN connection, connecting to switch C about 5 miles away.

I will configure SVIs on both cores, although I only need it on one of the cores. Connect the WAN interface to a gig port on switch B, the other end of the WAN connection will connect to switch c. I will only allow one vlan on the trunk connecting to switch C.

I will configured the SVIs as hsrp 

Looks okay to me with HSRP configured, although your redundancy scenario will be manual at this point. I.e. if switch B that has switch C connected to it goes offline, you will need to manually reconnect switch C to switch A into a preconfigured trunk port with the same VLAN allowed. That will save you configuration time if there is a potential outage.

NinjaPirate, your comment was my exact thought also.

thx
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: