cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP IP addressing on 3 routers with 4 interfaces?

Tracey Foster
Level 1
Level 1

I have HSRP running on one set of routers on one side.  I have set up tracking to monitor on the opposite side of these same routers, and so far successful.  However, I have Static routes on the far end, and have to manually change the statis route when swapping routers in HSRP. 

So I thought I would se up HSRP on the other side of these router, giving a virtual IP between the 2 routers that I could then point my statis route to the single IP. 

As I try to set this up, I seem to have a problem with IP addressing, as I have 3 routers and 4 interfaces which have to be in the same subnet, but the router will not take the IP address on the last interface.

Question, how do I address each interface for this to work?  I have attached a drawing with some config to show what is happening...

You help is greatly appreicated!

Tracey

2 Replies 2

mullzkBern_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tracey

What you are trying to do will not work, there is no way to configure the two interfaces on R3 into the same subnet.

There are two possibilties:

- Configure the Link R2-R3 in another subnet and use a routing protocol between R1, R2 and R3, be it OSPF, EIGRP or whatever.

- If R3 can handle Vlans, configure the 172.16.1.3 on a Vlan-Interface (SVI) and assign gi0/1 and gi0/2 to this Vlan (you have to configure the interfaces as switchport)

Greetings from Switzerland, Mullzk

I added a netgear switch and all is working now with no problem.  Thank you for the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card