cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP IP addressing on 3 routers with 4 interfaces?

Tracey Foster
Level 1
Level 1

I have HSRP running on one set of routers on one side.  I have set up tracking to monitor on the opposite side of these same routers, and so far successful.  However, I have Static routes on the far end, and have to manually change the statis route when swapping routers in HSRP. 

So I thought I would se up HSRP on the other side of these router, giving a virtual IP between the 2 routers that I could then point my statis route to the single IP. 

As I try to set this up, I seem to have a problem with IP addressing, as I have 3 routers and 4 interfaces which have to be in the same subnet, but the router will not take the IP address on the last interface.

Question, how do I address each interface for this to work?  I have attached a drawing with some config to show what is happening...

You help is greatly appreicated!

Tracey

2 Replies 2

mullzkBern_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tracey

What you are trying to do will not work, there is no way to configure the two interfaces on R3 into the same subnet.

There are two possibilties:

- Configure the Link R2-R3 in another subnet and use a routing protocol between R1, R2 and R3, be it OSPF, EIGRP or whatever.

- If R3 can handle Vlans, configure the 172.16.1.3 on a Vlan-Interface (SVI) and assign gi0/1 and gi0/2 to this Vlan (you have to configure the interfaces as switchport)

Greetings from Switzerland, Mullzk

I added a netgear switch and all is working now with no problem.  Thank you for the help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card