Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Issue

matthew.norman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I might be going about this the wrong way but I am struggling to get my head around HSRP and if it can achieve what I want.

I am looking at the following basic setup:

Each LAN has two routers configured with HSRP. In this example lets say that R1/R3 are the active and R2/R4 are the standby. The routers at each site connect to the WAN via separate service providers for resilience. The second WAN link won't have as much bandwidth as it is for backup only.

At the moment HSRP is doing what I expect locally. If the WAN interface on R3 goes down, R4 will become the active router. In this case, a ping test to a host on LAN A will fail. The ping request will reach the host however the host will not be able to reply across the WAN as it will try and use R1 which will be down at LAN B.

Can anyone provide any advice on how this would usually be accounted for?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nagasheshu2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matthew,

That should not happen if you have configured WAN routing protocols properly. As soon as the WAN on primary goes down at LAN B, LAB a starts learning routes for LAN B through back up router. Therefore, the communication should be successful.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nagasheshu. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

nagasheshu2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matthew,

That should not happen if you have configured WAN routing protocols properly. As soon as the WAN on primary goes down at LAN B, LAB a starts learning routes for LAN B through back up router. Therefore, the communication should be successful.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nagasheshu. 

Thank you.

I had only configured some temporary static routes.

Now that I have configured EIGRP all is ok.

Regards

Matt

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card