Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP on two interfaces - same switch

balander
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco switch 3650. This switch connects to two nexus switches (and then the nexus switches to one FG firewall (routing)). The tengigabitethernet 1/1 and the 1/2 are in trunk mode and connects to one nexus and the tengigabitethernet 1/2 to the other nexus. 

I would like to use HSRP (as i've been toled) between the two interfaces. If the one nexus or optic cable fail (tengigabitethernet 1/1 for example), the other will take over. Is it possible? 

5 Replies 5

ammahend
VIP
VIP

you can do it, follow this topology and config to test. 

in this case nexus is your gateway and 3650 is L2 switch where endpoints are connected. you can find many other examples with same setup. 

-hope this helps-

thank's for the fast response. 

But i would like to see the configuration of the access switch end and not only for the nexus. 

To recap, if one interface fails (or the optic) the other to take over. The switch is on managmenet vlan100 (172.17.100.44 the ip of the switch) and the two nexus ip's are 172.17.100.1 and 100.3. The two interfaces are in trunk mode.

If i write standby 1 in one interface (tengigabitethernet 1/1) there is no such command. Only on VLAN's i can enter this command.... 

Assuming 2 Nexus are connected through some L2 link also, you don't need to do anything to achieve this, normal spanning tree, will move the other link to forwarding if one of the link dies.

-hope this helps-

For SW the config is simple 

Only config port-channel that includes two ports toward nexus.

MHM

Turn2
Level 1
Level 1

Making a couple of assumptions here: 1. The Nexus switches aren't connected together (e.g. vPC link) and, 2. the 3650 is not routing

There is nothing you need to configure on the 3650. HSRP is a layer 3 function, and the connection between your 3650 and Nexus' are is layer 2. Just configure HSRP on the Nexus' for each of the VLANs in which you want redundancy. If one of the fiber links, or Nexus switches fail, HSRP will move the virtual MAC(s) and IP(s) from one Nexus to the other, the 3650 will update it's bridge table, and things should continue to work as normal.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card