cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP & OSPF

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

I have following topology attached, could not inserted.

1.Cat 3750 stacks are transparent just extending OSPF vlan from site A to site B.

2.All Core switches are Cat 6509 running OSPF in area 0 in single vlan.

3.Core switches at Site A are running multigroup HSRP in load balancing mode for almost 20 vlans.

4.Core switches at Site B are running multigroup HSRP in load balancing mode for almost 20 vlans.

5.In OSPF i have advertised the physical ip address of vlan interfaces ( not the VIP ) , i guess this is correct !! If anybody has suggestions,tips they are always welcome

6.Now trick is ( and i guess this is common design concern ) i get multiple OSPF routes (equal cost)to each vlan in Site A from site B and vice versa.

7.Everytime i do traceroute from Site B to Site A VIP, it keeps alternating first hop as Core-1 or Core-2

8.So OSPF is load balancing.

9.I am not sure whether this is resulting in asymmetric routing, as i did not have hosts/applications to test it .

10. I tried tweaking the OSPF cost for each vlan on standby router ( increased OSPF cost to 10 )

11. This resulted in consistent(first hop) traceroutes to each VIP from other site.

12.So i guess tweaking ospf cost has stopped load balancing and ultimately any chances of asymmetric routing !!!

I need confirmation on above points, any enhancements, tips, corrections.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Satish,

what you see is not a problem at all, it can be seen as asymmetric routing but if no firewall is involved it is not an issue.

it can be more a problem to have tweaked the metrics of IP subnets that the fact that return traffic can come back on the other core switch.

HSRP just provides a VIP it  is a first hop redundancy protocol useful for end user PCs and so on.

return traffic can come back on the other core with no problems.

I would keep normal OSPF metrics. Load balancing can be  a benefit

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Satish,

what you see is not a problem at all, it can be seen as asymmetric routing but if no firewall is involved it is not an issue.

it can be more a problem to have tweaked the metrics of IP subnets that the fact that return traffic can come back on the other core switch.

HSRP just provides a VIP it  is a first hop redundancy protocol useful for end user PCs and so on.

return traffic can come back on the other core with no problems.

I would keep normal OSPF metrics. Load balancing can be  a benefit

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for you reply, it is helpful ..

So i will leave the OSPF cost to protocol itself..even i wanted to avoid OSPF cost tweaking...

once again thanks..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card