cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-4ESW: Can't ping it (enable it for routing)

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  I have a 2811 ISR, a lab unit with almost nothing yet configured other than some IP networks on serial and FE interfaces to ping to other lab routers.  And I have one HWIC-4ESW installed, and I amrunning IOS 15.2. 

I want to set the card as a single routable interface and just have the ports act like switch ports, which I imagine is the default design of these cards. 

I work a lot with Cisco 891 ISRs so figured it's the same here, assign an IP to interface Vlan1 and all is well.  That was wrong, obviously more config is required. 

It seems there are a lot of differing answers out there, so far none hwat worked for me.  The best looking one I could find said to assign an IP to the Vlan 1 interface, then go to each of the four FE interfaces on the switch module and:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1

no shut

I did this, but from the router itself, cannot ping 172.16.10.1 which is the IP of the vlan 1 interface. 

The only other command i tried was "routing dynamic"  under the vlan 1 interface config, which did nothing.  I don't know what that command does butI set it anyway just to see. 

So now, I have no clue, please help

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps some more information would allow us to identify the issue. Perhaps we can start with the output of show ip interface brief. If you would post this it might shed some light on the issue.

I am wondering if interface vlan 1 is up? is there a live device plugged into at least one of the switch ports?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Yes you need a live device on one of those FE interfaces for the vlan 1 SVI to go up/up .  It's the autostate function, so if there is no live devices in that vlan the SVI does not need to be up . Once you have a live device the interface will go up/up and you will be able to ping it .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps some more information would allow us to identify the issue. Perhaps we can start with the output of show ip interface brief. If you would post this it might shed some light on the issue.

I am wondering if interface vlan 1 is up? is there a live device plugged into at least one of the switch ports?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

No live devices attached to the switch ports, but that is intersting.  Should there be?  Even for the router itself to ping it's own IP assigned to the vlan 1 int.?

Here is the sh ip int br:

Lab-A#sh ip int br

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down

FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down

Serial0/0/0                172.16.20.1     YES NVRAM  up                    up 

FastEthernet0/1/0          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet0/1/1          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet0/1/2          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet0/1/3          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

Vlan1                      172.16.10.1     YES manual up                    down

Yes you need a live device on one of those FE interfaces for the vlan 1 SVI to go up/up .  It's the autostate function, so if there is no live devices in that vlan the SVI does not need to be up . Once you have a live device the interface will go up/up and you will be able to ping it .

At present i don't have a live device to try (odd, but true) but I have no doubt you guys are correct so I will connect something to it soon.  Thank you for your help! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card