cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

i need help understanding nat.

dolanduck.
Level 1
Level 1

isp.PNGHere is my topology i configured Nat on both routers.

Do i have to configure Nat on both routers?

and do i need default routes  to point to the isp ?

i suck at Nat and i am trying to learn much as possible

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @dolanduck. ,

so for redundancy i have to configure nat on both ?

No, HSRP is configured for redundancy. Now, if at any time the R2 is activated as active, it will need NAT for communication with the ISP.

i ask this because pc a and b  i can ping to 38.159.118.105 -106  it can also ping  38.159.118.109 but not 38.159.118.110 why?

If you already configured HSRP, it could be the reason, since R1 is acting as a gateway.

My guess is that you can access the network connected to that router and to the ip 38.159.118.119 by the multilink.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @dolanduck. ,

Do i have to configure Nat on both routers?

In the attached image you see that redundancy is used towards the ISP, therefore, effectively, you must configure NAT towards the ISP.

and do i need default routes  to point to the isp ?

Yes, you should configure the default routes to the ISP.

Regrads

and another question would R1 be able to see R2 other connection to isp ? i ask this because pc a and b  i can ping to 38.159.118.105 -106  it can also ping  38.159.118.109 but not 38.159.118.110 why?

Hi @dolanduck. ,

No, HSRP is configured for redundancy. Now, if at any time the R2 is activated as active, it will need NAT for communication with the ISP.

i ask this because pc a and b  i can ping to 38.159.118.105 -106  it can also ping  38.159.118.109 but not 38.159.118.110 why?

If you already configured HSRP, it could be the reason, since R1 is acting as a gateway.

My guess is that you can access the network connected to that router and to the ip 38.159.118.119 by the multilink.

Regards

oh ok thank you for clearing that up? i was really confused and thanks again.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

are you receiving default routes thru BGP from your ISP?

in which case if both R1 annd R2 receive default routes, run iBGP between the two routers

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

well i am doing this on packet tracer and ibgp is not supported. i am running my default routes trough eigrp. redistribute static

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: