cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I need to install an IP phone, 120m away from m switch - How?

elliottbujan
Level 1
Level 1

I need to install an ip phone at a warehouse loading dock that's about 120m away from my 3560 switch (PoE).

To start with, the contractor tells me that a lift is needed to run the wiring over the warehouse ceiling. My biggest issue is of course the distance; this run is well over ethernet limits.

What's a good way to wire this? I thought about putting a switch half way to boost the signal but I would loose the PoE for the phone (no biggy-I would get the power brick) plus I would need an additional power line to power the switch.

Is there a powered over ether switch than at the same time will power my phone? It would be nice to avoid the extra power run.

suggestions are well appreciated.

thanks,

Elliott Bujan

Initial Tropical Plants

3750 W. Deerfield Rd

Rivewoods, IL 60015

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Have you considered a wireless link to a workgruop bridge to cover tha end of the warehouse?

If it's just the one connection (to the phone) then a wireless workgroup bridge (WGB) for the voice/data and a power brick for the phone.

If you have (or are likely to have) multiple stations in that zone, then the WGB to a POE switch would feed the phone (and the AP / WGB).

120m is not a significant distance for wireless. The Cisco systems can pass 802.1q trunking (for voice/data VLANs), and you're still getting a good ~22 Mbps.

The cost of the equipment for wireless ought to be well below the cost of pulling media and / or power for the run.

The side benefit is that you can start to roll out wireless for your warehousing / stock tracking system.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Do you have power available at the location where you are installing the IP Phone ? If then you can use a power adapter to power the phone. That should take care of powering the phone remotely. Now the data connection from the phone to the switch. Can you run fiber and then use a fiber to ethernet converter ?

Or else use a Aironet power injector. This also should work with IP Phones. Use the one with ethernet port on one side and fiber on other.

AIR-PWRINJ-FIB

Check this link. Replace the Aironet access point by an ip phone.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_data_sheet09186a00800f927d.html

On the 3560 you will need a SFP fiber connector (I think these power injectors use 100BaseFX - MTRJ) and run multimode fiber 120 m to the location where the power injector and phone is installed. In this case you dont need a power adapter for your phone. The power injector will take care of it.

HTH

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Have you considered a wireless link to a workgruop bridge to cover tha end of the warehouse?

If it's just the one connection (to the phone) then a wireless workgroup bridge (WGB) for the voice/data and a power brick for the phone.

If you have (or are likely to have) multiple stations in that zone, then the WGB to a POE switch would feed the phone (and the AP / WGB).

120m is not a significant distance for wireless. The Cisco systems can pass 802.1q trunking (for voice/data VLANs), and you're still getting a good ~22 Mbps.

The cost of the equipment for wireless ought to be well below the cost of pulling media and / or power for the run.

The side benefit is that you can start to roll out wireless for your warehousing / stock tracking system.

Good Luck

Scott

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

For warehouse systems Long Reach Ethernet is often the best choice. If there are more phones beyond 100m you simply put a LRE switch in the wiring closet and connect using the existing telephone-grade wiring. The bandwidth will suffice for an IP phone.

Don't forget the line-converters on the phone-side.

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: