cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

i put an ipaddress on router , but why it gives my locally connected in routing table ??

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi ,

i put the command on my router

#

ip address 10.160.150.3 255.255.255.0

when i type  #show ip  route

10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks

C        10.160.150.0/24 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet1/1

L        10.160.150.3/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet1/1

as u see above , it gives me directly connedted /24 and locally connected /32

my question is why the locally connected /32 has bee displayed ???

in habit i dont see locally connected ???

regrads

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Ahmed,

yes on newer IOS we should see this. So if you have routers with different IOS versions some may show this L code and others may do not show this code.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ahmed,

Please see the below comments which would clarify about the Local host (L) in your routing table.

Having local host routes in the IPv4 and IPv6 routing table for IP  addresses of the router's interfaces, is normal. Their purpose is to  create a corresponding CEF entry, which is a receive entry, so that the  packets destined to this IP address can be procesed by the router  itself. These routes cannot be redistributed into any routing protocol.

For more information go through the below link about Local host in routing table. Thanks.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16385

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ahmed,

this is a newer version of IP routing table. The code L locally connected has been introduced to indicate the IP address of a router interface and you see the netmask is /32.

This is done to reflect how CEF works within the device: CEF mantains several tables including a neighbor cache, that is a list of IP next-hops to be used to build CEF entries.

For the node knowing what IP addresses belong to its own interfaces has a value, because for example when sending a packet out of an interface the source MAC address that has to be used is that of the interface itself and the destination MAC address is that of the end host or that of an IP next-hop.

So you can see these entries as pointers to other information that the node uses internally to perform packet switching.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks very much

i want to ask , the newer routing table depends on ios or  router model ??

regards

Hello Ahmed,

yes on newer IOS we should see this. So if you have routers with different IOS versions some may show this L code and others may do not show this code.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card