cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICMP drops while pinging SVI configured on switch-3750

abinash.baruah
Level 1
Level 1

Telnet session to the switch is hanging because of the same.

Running version is 12.2 (55) SE11.

We changed the complete switch, but issue persists. However, when tested with a 2950, the issue was not occurring.

Is there any command to mitigate this issue ?

5 Replies 5

Leo Louis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you check the CPU utilization of the 3750 switch? Also check for any open Bugs for 12.2 (55) SE11 in CCO pertaining to this issue.

Regards,

Leo

surahuja
Level 1
Level 1

Abhinash , 

Leo is right. The CPU utilisation of the switch should be your guide here. Some switches have an inbuilt control plane policy to drop ICMP packets but I am not so sure that is the case with 3750 .

Could you post "sh process cpu sorted inhere ?"

Also, is it possible for you to disconnect the switch from all other connections except the TS ( if available otherwise any other upstream device would do ) and then try telnetting from that device ?

My idea is to isolate the device of any incoming BPDUs or pings from rest of the network

Thanks Leo and Sura,

I canā€™t see any bug on 12.2 (55) SE11.

CPU utilization was never high. Will share soon.

Disconnecting the switch  from other devices and checking wonā€™t be possible now because the particular physical interface is used for ISP- VLAN 8 and we try accessing by any IP in that VLAN 8, even Telnet hangs,..

What exactly do you mean by hang ?

Are you able to see the username/password prompt ? 

I originally thought drops meant intermittent connections . Are you able to ping at all ? If not, have you checked the routing ?  If yes, what type of connection is it ? Have you checked the physical hardware for any drops ?

Telnet works initially and then stops responding.

We can get ping response but with drops.

I am attaching "sh process cpu" here.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card