Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Identical Hardware for FHRP?

Hi All,

It just suddenly come into my mind, should we use a prefectly identical hardware to utilize FHRP such as HSRP, VRRP, or GLBP?

Let say I have Catalyst 4500 with Supervisor A (Supervisor A supports GLBP for example), should I use the exact same specification for the second device to form GLBP? or I can use Catalyst 4500 with Supervisor B as long as Supervisor also support GLBP?

Thanks and waiting for your response

best regards,

Yedi

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

According to this FAQ you can mix platforms but looking  at Catalyst 4500 caveats to get 100% sure would be best.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/hot-standby-router-protocol-hsrp/9281-3.html#q12

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

No, you don't need to use identical hardware, in fact, when using something like VRRP, you can even use different vendor equipment.

What's important is the FHRP devices identically implement the features you need and that you size equipment to handle expected load (for example a 6500/sup2t and an 871 doing FHRP together, might be questionable).

for example a 6500/sup2t and an 871 doing FHRP together, might be questionable

"might be"

Jon

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Jon, laugh - yea, actually "might be".

Perhaps you're only running FHRP for just one very, very low bandwidth usage subnet between the two.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card