Views
Helpful
Replies

ie5000 got burned

samimsa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have two ie5000 switch located in the same cabinet,these two switches are connected through sfp fiber .

these two switches are getting very hot and the sfp port transceiver temperature that connect these two switches reach 88.6 c.then one of these switches damaged(not booting ,not reseting ,no lights only sys light,looks like it burned)they installed new switch and a fan next to the cabinet .

the transciever temperature is now 54 c but if we turn of the fan the temperature of the port become 70 c in one houre .i was checking the temperature using this command : sh int Gi1/27 tran det.

the fiber is single mode and i am not sure if this is the reason why it is burning .

do anyone has an idea about this issue.

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The switch config not going to change.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how is your environment temp

what SFP module, do you need to a minimum distance required cable when you using higher capacity modules

BB

Environment temp is normal.
Module is GLC-LX-SM-RGD.

that should be industriall that should be ok as per i know. that should not burn.

i have asked the question where is other side device  located how far ?

is other side device connected ok ?

BB

Yes connected device are ok .
I meant that it might be burned,because it's not booting nor factory reset .
Actually they had the same situation in August with the primary switch and
they replaced it.
My question is : if you have two switches close to each other (in the same
cabinet)
And you connect them with single mode fiber what consequences you might
face?

If they are close to each other - i would suggest to use Mumtil Mode fibre and minmum2 meter cable connecting each other.

if you using single mode  - if you have short patch like less than meter i see some time heating go high, so i used 5 meter cable, that works for me.

(this is based on my experience your case may be different)

since you mentioned industrial - i would expecte to check grounding - with multi meter.

BB

It make sense .i will try ,i will let you know .

Thank you for your help.

Hello balaji,

they ordered long fiber cables.waiting for them to arrive and then we will see if it will work.

anyway i am next to the switch now ,i pulled all cables from it ,i am trying to reset it ,nothing is showing in the console  ,no light only "sys" is blinking and solid "psu" light .

do you have any other Methodes to check whether  this switch salvageable.

apreciate your help.

if there is no console after 5min, I suspect something wrong with the device for sure - may be a hardware fault.

since you are at the switch location follow the below document to see any luck : see the express setup - step 6 for the sysled status

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie5000/hardware/installation/guide/ie5000_hig/higquick.html

BB

Hello ,

i already tried factory resetting this switch through express setup ,notyhing happen ,always there was sys blinking light, i even held the express button for 5 minutes .

any other recomendation?

Raise TAC case for RMA

BB

Hello sir,

i really appreciate your help, so we received a new switch ie5000 same model as the previous one .i am going to replace it and i am going to replace the single mode fiber cable and sfp connectors with the multimode cable and connectors, so  what specification of the sfp module and cable would you recommend?

and should i change something in the configuration?

If you looking to use Multimode SFP - GLC-SX-MM-RGD=  - then use OM4.

check below for detailed information :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/datasheet-c78-366584.html

BB

Hello ,

and after replacing the sfp to multimode should i make any change to the switch port configuration?

Thank you.

The switch config not going to change.

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card