cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

If choice of interface, which is preferred for QoS (Fiber or Copper/Ethernet)

gzimmerer
Level 1
Level 1

My question is, if given a choice between Copper/Ethernet or Fiber, which interface type would be preferable for QoS configuration.

Customer is bringing in high speed Internet (MetroEthernet from AT&T) via Fiber into the building.

I believe the Fiber ends up in an ME box which then hands off to the customer network via either Ethernet or Fiber.

Given these two choices (Copper or Fiber) which interface handoff would be preferable for QoS configuration purposes?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ethernet is the technology. Fiber and copper is media you use to connected Ethernet switches/routers together.

When it comes to Qos, you can apply it to copper or fiber.

HTH

Dear Reza:

You are correct, I have updated my question to correctly reflect copper vs fiber.

The question remains which is preferred for QoS configurations.

My thinking is both will do QoS but copper is more involved, whereas fiber is more like a serial connection.

Hi,

If the hand off from AT&T to you is Ethernet, it doesn't matter it is copper of fiber.  Qos applies the same way for both. If the hand off is serial, than that is not "Metro Ethernet".

Copper and fiber are just different type of media.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card