cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP forwarding to interface

wewere
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem and I suspect Cisco doesn't support what I want to do which is madness because so many other vendors do (including free OS like PFsense).

I'm using a Cisco C1111 to connect to an internet provider. The handoff is ethernet and PPPoE is used. The provider has an IPTV service which works by sending IGMPv3 joins to the provider but NOT inside the PPPoE encapsulation (i.e. forwarded out the WAN interface. The IPTV box is in one of the VLANs on the ISR.

Does Cisco have a method for me to ensure any ICMP Joins sent on the IPTV VLAN are simply forwarded out the WAN interface and not encapsulated by PPPoE?

Previously they tagged their data VLAN and so I could bridge the WAN interface with the IPTV Box vlan and do the PPPoE on the sub interface but now they don't tag anything and so this doesn't work.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello wewere,

>> Previously they tagged their data VLAN and so I could bridge the WAN interface with the IPTV Box vlan and do the PPPoE on the sub interface but now they don't tag anything and so this doesn't work.

The ISP should use two different Vlan ids to differentiate between PPPoE for internet access and IPTV service.

The cisco device can work if the two services are terminated in two different Vlans as you had in the past.

As an alternative you should enable PIM on the PPPoE dialer interface and the ISP aggregation router should do the same, and instead of forwarding an IGMP message you will go to send a PIM join.

But I am afraid either the ISP does not support multicast routing over the PPPoE session or they are going to ask you more money for this feature.

Note: May I ask you who is the involved ISP ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The ISP Is BT in the UK. Their FTTC product utilised VLAN 101 for data and IGMP Joins needed to be sent untagged. Their FTTP product operates entirely untagged. Physically bridging the IPTV VLAN and the WAN connection works perfectly but doing it in IOS stops the PPPoE connection from iniating as the interface obtains an IP address via the Bridge interface.

I've already tried enabling PIM - The provider does not seem to respond to PIM Joins; Only IGMP Joins.

Hello wewere,

I have found the following web link describing BT UK FTTP offers.

https://www.thenetworkunion.com/bt-fttp-checker-costs

the more enhanced feature for 68 pounds per mounth gives you a static IP. You should verify with them if this means avoiding the use of the PPPoE session.

However, it is disappointing that a main provider like BT UK (incumbent operator) has developed an access solution without Vlan mux / demux for internet access and IPTV services.

Either they want you to use their CPE devices or they try to push the higher cost service.

Note:

we call it FTTH = Fiber to the Home , I didn't know the FTTP  Fiber to the Premises service name.

Declared speeds are impressive.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

It gets called FTTP/FTTH/Ultrafast interchangably here. The infrastructure provider isn't BT but a company called Openreach and they refer to it as (FTTP) Generic Ethernet Access. In the UK most providers are reselling Openreaches infrastructure.With the static IP the PPPoE isn't removed; The PPP credentials used will result in the router being assigned the static IP.

It looks like a physical bridging is the only option that will perform as intended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card