Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact on CPU And Memory Of VLAN Access List on Cisco 6509-E

Hi,

I have couple of core switches 6509-E in VSS mode with more than 15 VLANs.

To fileter traffic we are planning to apply VLAN filter per vlan with VLAN Access Lists.

Does it put overhead on CPU and Memory utilization of the 6509 ?

Regards,

Mitesh Manwatkar.

3 Replies 3

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mitesh,

Definitely it will add a lad on cpu and memory, but you can put that and monitor for few days.... and see if that chokes your throughput... I guess it should not be a problem until and unless more counter to it.....

Regards

Karthik

Dear NK,

What is the use of having sup720-10ge if it cant handle few VACL ?

Hi Mitesh,

It shouldn't have problem. But if you have rules in place.... it will permit as permitted in acl and rest it will deny..... this will be an added load to the switch.... which is a not fabric, which is really build to do firewalling..... I am not saying it will get choke.... but it will add a extra load to it.... you can do one thing.... you can monitor the usage or utilization without acl and if that is very normal and low then you can add VACL....

I do not want to cross my finger and say you can do... so explaining possible disadvantages....

Regards

Karthik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card