cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Implementing jumbo frames on Nexus 5548

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

The server team has asked me to implement jumbo frames on a single VLAN, the one they use for vmotion.  We have two pairs of 5548s, each pair running VPC for most connections.  I would like to hear from anyone who has implemented this.

I am aware of many postings that describe how to enable jumbo frames globally, like this:

policy-map type network-qos jumbo

class type network-qos class-default

mtu 9216

exit

exit

system qos

service-policy type network-qos jumbo

exit

I am not clear how I can extend this principle to one VLAN only.  Can anyone guide me?

Also, I am aware of a posting (https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3869428#3869428) that shows some pitfalls of implementing jumbo frames in a VPC configuration.  Pretty well all my connections are VPC, including all the FEXes, which are all dual-homed.  In many cases, the VPC extends through to the servers so that the servers run port.channels across two FEXes.  I am unclear whether the pitfalls are still valid, or whether I have to wait until my next maintenance slot (6 months away) to implement jumbo frames.  Can jumbo frames be implement safely on the fly?  How does enabling jumbo frames fit in with "conf sync" mode?

Could someone share their experience please?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Bump.  Anyone?

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Has nobody here had any experience implementing jumbo frames selectively per VLAN on Nexus 5500?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card