cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

In VSS SW6500´s - Configuring a L3 PortChannel subinterface using an existent VLAN ID

jssalgado
Level 1
Level 1

This is the situation: let´s say that a VSS (SW6500´s) has a VLAN 37 passing in a few TRUNKS working perfectly. But now, we need to configure a PortChannel L3 (Let´s say PortChannel 100) and also need to create a sub interface there such as "interface PortChannel 100.37 with a given ip address in the subInterface. Now, the question is: when configuring command "encapsulation dot1Q" within the subinterface, can we use ID 37 ?, will this be allowed by the switch? VSS 6500

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If you have a vlan in your vlan datadase, it is not eligible for a sub interface:

6500(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 50
Command rejected: VLAN 50 not available

Just use a trunk port with an SVI instead. 

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Not sure I understand your question. If you have vlan 37 into your vlan database, sure you can use it on a sub-interface.
Did you try and get an error?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If you have a vlan in your vlan datadase, it is not eligible for a sub interface:

6500(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 50
Command rejected: VLAN 50 not available

Just use a trunk port with an SVI instead. 

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

My bad, I forget to ask which supervisor it was used on the 6500 chassis.
Because with SUP720-10G it wasn't possible. But on 6800 it is working.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Good point Francesco, We have a SW6509 equipped with "Supervisor Engine 2T 10GE w/ CTS (Acti VS-SUP2T-10G"., as in the 6800 Switch. Please, let me ask one more question asuming I may configure the subinterface using an already taken ID,... will the traffic coming in VLAN 37 and subinterface (ID 37) be in the same broadcast domain or these traffics would be in different brodcast domains?

Thanks so much for taking time to answer this.

You need to test with sup2t. I checked the one i have access in lab for a new deployment and it's a sup6t.
Then the answer to your question is yes.
I don't know what you're trying to achieve but it would better to use SVI unless you require a physical interface for a specific use case.

Thanks
Francesco

Thanks so much. This is what I thought it would be and you proved it as I saw the outcome for the command "encapsulation dot1q".   But Francesco Molino says it depends on the SUP (With SUP720-10G it wasn't possible to configure. But on 6800 it is working).

Thanks to both of you for the contribution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card