Views
Helpful
Replies

Inconsistency in 6500 switch in a Port-channel for 1gig and 10 gig ports

kolhe.saurabh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I had a query regarding port-channel in a 6500 series switch. We had 2 6500 switches which is running a port-channel between them. The ports bundled in this port-channel are 1gigabit ports. We have to upgrade this port channel from 2x1gig to 2x10 gig ports. Last time when I tried to upgrade the port-channel from 2x1gig to 2x10 gig ports, the 10 gig ports didnt came up in port-channel and was showing inconsistency with the 1gig ports. This time after turning both 10 gig links up in the port-channel, i will shut both the 1 gig ports. Will shutting 2x1gig ports bring the 2x10 gig ports up ASAP in the port-channel or this may result in the port-channel going down? Will i have to bounce these 2x10 gig ports again to bring them up in the port-channel?

In case the port-channel goes down, what may be the consequences?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@kolhe.saurabh wrote:

Will shutting 2x1gig ports bring the 2x10 gig ports up ASAP in the port-channel or this may result in the port-channel going down?

What?  All physical ports in an Etherchannels must be of the same speed.  If you have 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps in an Etherchannel then it's a bug.

The port-channel was not having all the ports up. It was only having the 1 gig ports up. The 10 gig ports didnot came up and was showing inconsistency in the port-channel. The upgrade in a port-channel is from 1gig to 10 gig. If we have both the ports in a port-channel and if we shut the 1 gig ports, will this bring the port-channel up on 10 gig ports or bring the PO down? In this case will I have to bounce the 10 gig ports again to bring the port-channel up?

Post the complete output to the command "sh etherchan <PO number> summary".

Hello,

• Are you also having TenGigabitEthernet interfaces at the other end of the link?
  • Have you tried creating a new port-channel ID to bundle those two TenGigabitEthernet interfaces?

Check the capabilities at both ends of the link and make sure they are capable and can negotiate the same speed. Do this by running the show interface <interface_type/interface_id> capabilities command. All the interfaces (at both ends) should be able to manage the same speed. Also, make sure that you're using the same protocol (LACP or PAgP) and consider to test with no negotiation (channel-group X mode on) as a workaround.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: