Views
Helpful
Replies

Inconsistent etherchannel configuration 3850-XS

1977bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I searched bug tool and other resources for this behaviour. Am I missing somthing obvious, or is this a bug?

Configuration is not saved to port channel interface. It´s also removed when shutting down a port channel, like "conf t - int po1 - shut - no shut"...

also:

(config)#int po1
(config-if)#desc Core
(config-if)#switchport mode trunk
(config-if)#int te1/1/1
(config-if)#desc Core
(config-if)#channel-group 1 mode active
(config-if)#inte ten1/1/2
(config-if)#channel-group 1 mode active
(config-if)#desc Core
(config-if)#exit
(config)#exit
#wr
#sh runn int po1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 49 bytes
!
interface Port-channel1
description Core
end

Someone seen this behaviour before?

Model is WS-C3850-48XS Version 16.8.1a

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

L2 etherchannel

1. default physical interfaces (if possible)
  2. configure port-channel in physical interfaces
     ---port-channel will be created automatically
  3. create trunking encapsulation or access port mode directly in port-channel interface
  4. enable physical interfaces "no shut"

conf t
default int range te1/1/1 -2
int range te1/1/1 -2
shut
channel-group 1 mode active
exit

int po1
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan x x x
exit

int range te1/1/1 -2
no shut
exit

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Did you configure the member interfaces first ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

No, I did it just like the snippet above. This snippet/configuration was made just to verify the problem and can be reproduced.

A collegue of mine pointed out that I had missed some configuration the first time it happened. Oh well, that could happen of course (That I missed some config), but when it happened a second time I was sure that I had not missed it. I went back in the configuration logs in my terminal program and verified that I had not missed it. Reproduced the snippet above just to verify.

I mean, one could argue that member switchport configuration could differ in one portchannel bundle, and therefore, one should do the member switchport configuration before joining them to a port channel, but I have not seen this behaviour before.

>one should do the member switchport configuration before joining them to ...

- I believe it would be advisable to work that way.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello

L2 etherchannel

1. default physical interfaces (if possible)
  2. configure port-channel in physical interfaces
     ---port-channel will be created automatically
  3. create trunking encapsulation or access port mode directly in port-channel interface
  4. enable physical interfaces "no shut"

conf t
default int range te1/1/1 -2
int range te1/1/1 -2
shut
channel-group 1 mode active
exit

int po1
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan x x x
exit

int range te1/1/1 -2
no shut
exit

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

This seems to work. However, I´m not able to reproduce the problem anymore, no matter how I configure it. The one thing that differs is that I´m not able to try it on a live port as it is in production now...

I will keep an eye on this an post any changes if there are any. Thanks for all your input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card