Views
Helpful
Replies

Information Regarding C2960-8TC-L

Islam Nadim
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm about to acquire a C2960-8TC-L Switch. I need to know some things regarding this switch. First I will get it with IOS 12.2(35)SE (At least that is what is written on it). I need to know:

* Does this switch support L3 or L2 only? I need to create multiple VLANs

* If so, does it support Inter-VLAN Routing?

* Does it support dot1x? I might need to integrate it with Cisco ISE for Lab purposes. 

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Plain 2960 is a Layer 2 switch with limited Layer 3 functionality.  The Layer 3 functionality is highly dependent on IOS version the switch is running on.  12.2(35)SE  supports only Layer 2 feature. 

Dot1x will depend entirely on what is configured for ISE and, like above, is highly dependent on what IOS the switch is running on.  12.2(35)SE will not support any forms of Dot1x.  

Hello @Leo Laohoo ,

I've found that this switch can be upgraded to C15 which I'm planning to. Does this version support the needs I mentioned?

If not, which 8 port models do support?

C2960-8TC-L  - this switch was the end of Life some time back. you can upgrade to IOS 15. X

15.X Code supports the features you mentioned.

Since its LAB you can upgrade and test 802.1x and should work for you

If not, which 8 port models do support?  <-- i take this as you looking switch that 8port has supported your features.

The Cisco cat 3K compact one also should work. ( i am sure Datasheet have this information supporting) - most of the switches does 802.1x until any one not mentioned clearly not supported.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello @balaji.bandi 

I'll keep looking for newer model that will fit within my budget. Right now, I've came across C1000-8T-2G-L and C1000-8T-E-2G-L .. I'm trying to figure out the differences between them, and the only thing I was able to find is that the C1000-8T-E-2G-L has an external power supply.

Sure if you are able to get that price, that is a good model and longer support ( yes only PS, some people looking for external PSU)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We still have a large fleet of 2960S in your network and I remembered we standardized to 15.0(2)SE4 for Dot1X.

The latest, and final, IOS version for the plain 2960 that can support Dot1X is 15.0(2)SE11

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card