cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

install Denali 16.2.1 on 3850 stack, got this error : FAILED: Switch switch 4 boot path does not match with the active

Network Manager
Level 1
Level 1

howdy,

installing denali 16.2.1 on a 3850 stack, all similar switches. i keep getting this error when i attempt to install the package

FAILED: Switch switch 4 boot path does not match with the active

please advise.

6 Replies 6

Hello,

I have the same issue. Did you happen to solve it? And if you did, can you share how you solved it?

BR,

Michael

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar issue. I remember removing any configured boot commands and setting it to the IOS bin file and reloading. After the reload, the stack was able to proceed with the install command and reload successfully another time to the newer version.

Hi Axel, Facing the same kind of issue, While upgrading 3850 4 switch stack. switch all file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.07.SPA.bin new auto-copy --- Starting install local lock acquisition on switch 1 --- Finished install local lock acquisition on switch 1 FAILED: Switch switch 4 boot path does not match with the active Could you please share your fixed summary with me. removing any configured boot commands and setting it to the IOS bin file and reloading >> Sorry but not understand what is exactly. Regards, Rahul Wankhade
Regards,
Rahul Wankhade

Hi All, 

I am having a similar issue going from 16.03.06 to 16.09.05 - has anyone managed to get to the bottom of the fix for this? 

--- Starting install local lock acquisition on switch 1 ---
Finished install local lock acquisition on switch 1

FAILED: Switch switch 2 boot path does not match with the active

Rgds

Chris

I don't know the root cause, but have you tried my suggested steps above?

1) sh boot
2) go into conf t, clear out all the existing boot commands
3) put in a boot command to the bin file (NOTE: this will not yet install it!), i.e. "boot system switch all flash:/c3850-universalk9-blabla.bin"
4) issue "wr" to be sure
5) reload
6) after reboot, "show version" to see all switches in the stack are there. You should see that all switches in the stack are on the new version, but in bundled mode. This is not great, so next step is to install as this will significantly improve performance of a few things, including boot times.
7) issue the install statement, something along the lines of "request platform software package install switch all file flash:/c3850-universalk9-blabla.bin new on-reboot"
8) let it reboot or do so manually after the install
9) after reboot, verify with "show version" that the switch stack is completely up and running and now is in INSTALL mode.
If you run "show boot" now, you will see that it refers to flash:/packages.conf which includes references to all the required files. At this point, you can remove the .bin file or request a clean up (something like "request platform software package clean switch all")

Note: i keep saying "something like", "i.e." etc. I do not have a 3850 here available. I ran into this issue with a different customer, however, this is a workaround that worked for me, so I hope it works for you to.

I had the same issue, so I just reloaded the whole stack and tried the same upgrade commands again then it worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card