Views
Helpful
Replies

Install the module in 6500

faizan.mahmood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I want to install the module  (WS-X6724-SFP) into the Cisco 6500. Kindly guide me how to install the module into the chassis in the running state. 

Is there any impact on the production traffic while installing the module.?

thanks 

3 Replies 3

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Well, assuming that compatibility (against IOS, chassis, supervisor, etc.) has been checked, online insertion should not cause any traffic disruption.

Special care should be taken, though, that the new module is not inserted too slowly (the router might crash, happened to us on a 7600) - explanation here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/200114-Module-Insertion-Best-Practices-in-Catal.html

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

WS-X6724-SFP module is not supported in the Catalyst 6503 chassis. Chassis requires that modules be installed in adjacent slots or, if either adjacent slot is unused, you must install a switching-module filler plate (Cisco part numbers WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR-E or SLOTBLANK-09) rather than a blank slot cover (WS-X6K-SLOT-CVR) to maintain an adequate air flow through the chassis.
Please refer Catalyst 6500 Ethernet Module Installation Guide on mentioned link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Mod_Install_Guide/6500-emig/02ethern.html#97389

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there any impact on the production traffic while installing the module.?

In theory, with OIR there shouldn't be.  However, issues can sometimes arise, so if possible, best to do during a maintenance window while being prepared for even a full chassis crash.

Kindly guide me how to install the module into the chassis in the running state.

You just install it (but not overly slowly as noted by Iulian.  If chassis accepts it, you'll see the ports "appear" and you can configure them.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card