cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

installation of Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Module

MikeCaditz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2911 ISR and want to install a SM-ES2-24 Enhanced EtherSwitch Service Module.

Do I need to power down the router?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

•Cisco 2900 series

Your 2911 falls under the category/family of the 2900.  OIR is NOT supported.  Please power down the router and remove the power cord before inserting the module.  Otherwise, you'll risk short-circuiting the "pins" at the back and cause components of the module or the router to burn.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Somasundaram Jayaraman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes these modules are hot swappable.

++ Use the hw-module slot <1-4> oir-stop command when removing or replacing a hot-swappable Cisco enhanced EtherSwitch service module during online insertion and removal (OIR).

To session into the module from the router use the command

- "service-module interface slot/port session"

Reference link:

=============

- http://www.cisco.biz/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/software/feature/guide/eesm_sw.html#wp1920103

Hope this answer your question.

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

Thanks, Somu.

But I am confused. First, the link you provided id dead.

Second, the  document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/nm/hardware/installation/guide/InstNetM.html

states:

Note The following routers do not support online insertion and removal (OIR) of service modules or network modules:

•Cisco 1900 series

•Cisco 2600 series

•Cisco 2811

•Cisco 2821

•Cisco 2851

•Cisco 2900 series

•Cisco 3620

•Cisco 3640

•Cisco MWR 1941-DC

To avoid damaging the router, turn off electrical power and disconnect network cables before inserting or removing a network module into these routers.

•Cisco 2900 series

Your 2911 falls under the category/family of the 2900.  OIR is NOT supported.  Please power down the router and remove the power cord before inserting the module.  Otherwise, you'll risk short-circuiting the "pins" at the back and cause components of the module or the router to burn.

Thank you for the ratings Michael.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card