cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing c3kx-nm-10gt module in Catalyst 3560-X-24T-L

brian.t.psenak
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to install a C3KX-NM-10GT network module into my Catalyst 3560-X-24T-L switch.  Any time I do this, the interface fails to operate, and the web-based status interface fails to operate correctly until the system reboots.  When I connect using the CLI, it sees the 10Gigabit interfaces, but they will not operate when I connect a device.  Utilizing the shutdown and no shutdown commands does not seem to affect the interface.

Current software version on the switch is 15.0(2)SE7 IP Base.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Is yours a LANBase licensed switch?  If so, I'm wondering if you might need a feature license upgrade.

BTW, you minimally need 15.0(1)SE - so you should be okay there.

Correct, it is LANBase (or at least should be based off the -L on the model).  According to the data sheet and the Cisco sales personnel, this should be a compatible unit.  There is no service contract, so the availability of software and upgrading the software is limited.  I was told the IP Base software should have full functionality on the LAN Base system, just not have the full IP Base functionality.  The release notes for the IP Base software state "Layer 2 and basic Layer 3 features, SSH16, SSL17, and SNMPv318, and Kerberos IP base image, as well as LAN base image with Layer 2 features" for 15.0(2) and later releases."

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If it's not a license issue, then it's possible you have a hardware issue, with either the switch or the module.

BTW, you might be able to enable IPBase license, in a timed evaluation mode.  If so, you could use that to rule out the license question.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card