cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN Communication

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

I have set a VLAN network.I am able to ping members of same VLAN domain but inter-vlan pinging is not getting any suiccess.I am using router for this purpose.Here is the packet-tracer file.Please help me out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/50s1emfxqbl2g3e/vlan.pkt

thank u

---

Posted by WebUser Anik Biswas from Cisco Support Community App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arsen Gharibyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Web User

1. your IP scheme is incorrect

meaning ur routable interfaces no the RT have subnet /24 but ur subnets on a computers are /16 instead of /24

2. IP address on vlan interface on the router on the stick is incorrect

meaning vlan 2 shoud have ip 172.16.2.1 (regarding on ur topology) but in real it has 172.16.3.1 so

here is ur problem u have computer that coccected to the vlan 2 and have ip 172.16.2.3 DG 172.16.2.1 when ur DG (aka fa 0/1.2 encaps dot1q 2) has ip address 172.16.3.1

P.S. in my opinion the network will not perform really good because if u want to use around 4 vlans i will sugest to go with L3 switch and do  inter-vlan routing on the L3

Hope this was helpfull

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arsen Gharibyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Web User

1. your IP scheme is incorrect

meaning ur routable interfaces no the RT have subnet /24 but ur subnets on a computers are /16 instead of /24

2. IP address on vlan interface on the router on the stick is incorrect

meaning vlan 2 shoud have ip 172.16.2.1 (regarding on ur topology) but in real it has 172.16.3.1 so

here is ur problem u have computer that coccected to the vlan 2 and have ip 172.16.2.3 DG 172.16.2.1 when ur DG (aka fa 0/1.2 encaps dot1q 2) has ip address 172.16.3.1

P.S. in my opinion the network will not perform really good because if u want to use around 4 vlans i will sugest to go with L3 switch and do  inter-vlan routing on the L3

Hope this was helpfull

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

As per ur suggestion I have changed the subnet of the hosts and matched with the router.But still the inter-vlan ping is not successful. Here is the new file

http://www.mediafire.com/download/50s1emfxqbl2g3e/vlan.pkt

Please help

---

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Thank u for ur help.After changing the encapsulation it worked..

---

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card