Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN routing help please

djnex2002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am having somewhat of an issue configuring/routing a designed network within Cisco's Packet Tracer. Could someone kindly see and explain where and what have I done wrong as I really am out of suggestions?

I have designed a network of 130 workstations along with 3 network printers spanning across three levels in a building. Have created vlan's and sub interfaces for each dept and configured what I think are correct ip settings. The workstations will have DHCP assigned and have also configured the IP Helper Address.

The problem I am having is I cannot for some reason assign DHCP from the server's or even ping the gateway? Ports from the switches going to the router have had Trunk assigned. The VLAN's however cannot communicate with each other (Server's-Workstations-Printers).

I would extremely appreciate any suggestions and input.

Also, I have attached the packet tracer file fyi.

Thanks. :)

Ned

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

campbech1
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like there is quite a bit missing with your upload. Most of the issues are due to missing VLANs. If you are going to tag VLAN 30 to the outside switch you have to make sure you tag it through to any switch it needs for transport also. Each of the closets seem to have the same issues. For VLAN 90 you have to make sure you also tag it through the VLAN 80 switches.

I updated your file and it's fixed now if you would like to compare the differences. Also, between the first floor and second floor it would be best to configure this as a port-channel to take advantage of both uplink ports, if not, spanning tree will block one of the ports.

I didn't see that you had a DHCP server configured anywhere but you did have DHCP helpers defined. I created a DHCP server at 192.168.70.1, created scopes for each of the subnets, and updated the IP helper addresses.

For the 192.168.100.x networks it would be best to configure that on a subinterface as well. I didn't do that in the lab but following what you've already completed I think you can handle that.

Let me know if you need anything else.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

campbech1
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like there is quite a bit missing with your upload. Most of the issues are due to missing VLANs. If you are going to tag VLAN 30 to the outside switch you have to make sure you tag it through to any switch it needs for transport also. Each of the closets seem to have the same issues. For VLAN 90 you have to make sure you also tag it through the VLAN 80 switches.

I updated your file and it's fixed now if you would like to compare the differences. Also, between the first floor and second floor it would be best to configure this as a port-channel to take advantage of both uplink ports, if not, spanning tree will block one of the ports.

I didn't see that you had a DHCP server configured anywhere but you did have DHCP helpers defined. I created a DHCP server at 192.168.70.1, created scopes for each of the subnets, and updated the IP helper addresses.

For the 192.168.100.x networks it would be best to configure that on a subinterface as well. I didn't do that in the lab but following what you've already completed I think you can handle that.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks matey.

I decided to scratch the document and start again. I managed to connect all but had issues again with the DHCP (static ip was fine). After a long night I realized that the router had not been configured with the DHCP, only the IP-helper had been (& the server which I don't know how it was left out...).. It made sense when you pointed this out. Thanks. :)

The joy of staying up two nights in a row to try and complete an assignment.

Now to complete the second task (redesign the network and connect with another building + ip phones....) yaay! :p

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card