cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-vlan routing on ASA 5505, multiple vlans on different ASA interfaces

Jean Milne
Level 1
Level 1

As part of my learning curve after inheriting our network, I am trying to get an experiment with an ASA 5505, a switch and multiple vlans working.

I have an ASA 5505.

Interface 0/1 has been given IP address 192.168.0.1. The ASA automatically created vlan1 when I did this. TestLaptop1 is connected to this interface with IP address 192.168.0.100.

Interface 0/2 has been given IP address 192.168.1.1. The ASA automatically created vlan2 when I did this. A switch has been connected to this interface with IP address 192.168.1.2.

The switch has 3 vlans. vlan1 was already on the switch out of the box. I then created vlan100 and vlan101. I have connected TestLaptop2 to vlan100 with IP address 192.168.1.3 and TestLaptop3 to vlan101 with IP address 192.168.2.3.

The idea is that I have 3 vlans but two are on a switch.  Therefore two vlans are in effect on the same ASA interface.

My aim is to prove I can ping between TestLaptop1, TestLaptop2 and TestLaptop3.

At the moment I can ping from TestLaptop1 to TestLaptop2. Using packet tracer, I can see that the ASA knows that the 192.168.1.0 network is on interface 0/2.

However, I cannot ping from TestLaptop1 to TestLaptop3. Packet tracer shows that the route lookup step is failing and the ASA thinks the 192.168.2.0 network is on the outside interface 0/0.

I'm assuming that the ASA knows that network 192.168.1.0 is on interface 0/2 because the IP address of the interface is in that network.

I have a few questions which are probably obvious to everyone on this site except me.

1: Does it matter that the ASA and the switch both created vlan1?
2: What should the IP address of the ASA interface 0/2 be? I.e. which switch vlan segment should it be in (default, vlan100 or vlan101)?
3: What step have I missed that means the ASA thinks that 192.168.2.0 is on the outside interface?

I did guess I was missing some kind of route and tried to configure a static route but it didn't work. Either I configured the static route wrong or I missed some other step.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading my post.

Kind regards,

Jean

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

At the moment the ASA thinks 0/2 is in vlan 2 and the switch thinks it is in vlan 101 which is wrong.

If you want to use a single link for both vlans 100 and vlan 101 then you need to make the link a trunk link and you need to add vlan 100 and vlan 101 interfaces on the ASA.

Then as long as the laptop ports are assigned to the correct vlans it should work.

Jon

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jean

How is the port on the switch connecting to the ASA configured ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for replying.  

The port the switch is connected to is in vlan101 as an untagged port.  The switch is a Netgear switch that has a web UI where you pick ports for a vlan and say tagged or untagged.

I got a bit further with the experiment.  I configured a static route using the command line instead of ASDM and now the packet tracer shows that the router now knows that the 192.168.2.0 network is on interface 0/2.

However, I still can't ping from TestLaptop1 to TestLaptop3.  I think this may be because I need to do some kind of trunking on the port that the switch uses to connect to the ASA?  I'm about to start reading about trunking now.  No idea if I have to change the ports to tagged but suspect I need to do something like that.  

I really appreciate your reply.  I'm sure everyone on here is very busy and it's very hard to get a picture of a setup when it's being textually described.

Thanks again,

Jean

At the moment the ASA thinks 0/2 is in vlan 2 and the switch thinks it is in vlan 101 which is wrong.

If you want to use a single link for both vlans 100 and vlan 101 then you need to make the link a trunk link and you need to add vlan 100 and vlan 101 interfaces on the ASA.

Then as long as the laptop ports are assigned to the correct vlans it should work.

Jon

That makes sense.  I will mark your answer as correct and try it out in the morning.

Is vlan2 (created by the ASA when I configured interface 0/2) even required?  I can't figure out how to get rid of it in ASDM.  I'm comparing the setup to an existing setup on an ASA 5510 and the 5510 doesn't auto-create vlans.

One last question if you can tolerate it.  I kept the last four ports on the switch spare and left them in the default vlan (also called the management vlan in the GUI).  I am unsure if I should keep this vlan?  I assume I need something that allows a web connection for management purposes.  Currently the switch IP is in the vlan2 range but this means at the moment that only devices in vlan2 can manage the switch.  That has got to be wrong... Should I have ensured the ASA knows about the management vlan as well...?

Thanks again for your reply.  So very much appreciated.

As far as I can see you don't need vlan 2 but I can't help with ASDM as I never use it.

You could create a new vlan for management if you want and include that on the trunk link from the switch.

And you can ask as man questions as you like, that is what these forums are for :)

Jon

Does the forum prefer that questions are split out into new discussions?  I am drawing out my experiment designs and was wondering how a person goes about deciding which vlan to put ASA interfaces in.

In my experiment, the ASA interface is connected to a switch with 3 vlans where one of the vlans is default/management.

Is there best practice guidelines on how to decide which vlan the ASA interface goes in?  

In my mind it seems logical for the interface to be in the management vlan... Otherwise its just a coin toss.

But maybe actually the interface doesn't have to be in a vlan at all?  Maybe I'm just thinking it has to be because that's how the ASA 5505 comes out of the box...?

I can split this out into a new discussion if you prefer.

Thank you again for your replies.  It really, really helps to have real world experienced people who are willing to give up their time to participate in forums.  Invaluable.

Generally speaking if the original question has been answered people open up a new discussion but there are no hard and fast rules so adding to this is fine.

Not sure I understand what you mean here.

Each vlan has a different IP subnet (or should do) and you would therefore put the interfaces into the vlans for the subnets you wanted to firewall.

I think you may be asking a slightly different question so by all means come back and clarify.

Jon

In my experiment I have a switch with 3 vlans on it connected to the ASA (which created another vlan).

In my diagram I have assigned the subnets network addresses but the switch itself hasn't provided anywhere to set this.  I assume I will set this in the ASA itself when I get to that bit.

I need to give the ASA interface an address.  Currently it happens to be in the management vlan segment but that is pure chance.

My question was about how to choose that address and whether or not the vlans that are on the switch affect the decision.

I'm uploading a sketch of the experiment to hopefully explain better what I'm trying to figure out.

If you mean the interface the switch connects to you don't give it an IP address you make it a trunk so it can carry traffic for all vlans.

Then on the ASA you create L3 vlan interfaces for each vlan on the switch and it these L3 vlan interfaces you assign the IP addresses to.

That is how you are then able to route between all vlans although it does depend on the license you have on the ASA.

Does this make sense ?

Jon

Oh!  

That explains why I can't figure it out any why no-one knows what I'm talking about.

I read how to set up trunking but didn't realise that it means the interface itself should not have an IP address (although that makes total sense when I think about it).

OK, I've got more than enough now to carry on with the experiment.

I'm ditching ASDM except for visual representation as I'm not sure it's helping me (rather confusing me).

Thank you again.  The question of what address had been confounding me for days.

No problem, glad to help.

It's a good idea to use the CLI instead because I think it is more intuitive.

Jon

Hi Jon,

CLI is much nicer, I'm creating the 3 vlans now.

Not sure if you noticed my question about what the default gateways should be for the test laptops?  I'm sure this is another obvious thing that I'm not "getting"....

I must have replied wrong somehow because the post jumped ahead of my first reply...

Thanks again,

Jean

Jean

I did notice the question and have answered above  :)

Jon

Ooops! Sorry, didn't spot the reply.  Thanks :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card