cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface consistently down on switch

TheFox
Level 1
Level 1

I'm doing an exercise in packet tracer where I enable security measures on switches. There are three switches connected to each other that I am doing this to. In the process of attempting to do so, I noticed that when I connect the three switches, one of the interfaces on one of the switches is ALWAYS down. And on that switch nothing shows when I implement a show mac address-table command, there is no MAC address information listed for that interface as it is down. Is there a reason for this? Or is there something else I need to do to open that interface?  

I have attached a packet tracer file simply showing the topology I am speaking of. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @TheFox ,

The switches come with the spanning-tree protocol enabled.

This protocol prevents layer 2 loops from occurring.

To achieve this, turn off some interfaces to leave only one way to all possible destinations.

If you are a Cisco Networking Academy student, you are probably at CCNA2.

The STP protocol is studied in CCNA3, so I encourage you to continue advancing with your studies and continue with your curiosity.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @TheFox ,

The switches come with the spanning-tree protocol enabled.

This protocol prevents layer 2 loops from occurring.

To achieve this, turn off some interfaces to leave only one way to all possible destinations.

If you are a Cisco Networking Academy student, you are probably at CCNA2.

The STP protocol is studied in CCNA3, so I encourage you to continue advancing with your studies and continue with your curiosity.

Regards

I agree with Luis, STP loop prevention is good thing and is on by default

Thanks for the help. Makes sense!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card