cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Power granted & PD removed system log messages

smellring
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully, this is not a duplicate post, IF so, please direct me to the content that will answer the following situation.

Looking for some information as well as resolution to the following system log messages we are receiving on a Cisco Catalyst 2960x using the current version:

Cisco IOS Software, C2960X Software (C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(2)EX5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

%ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/33: Power Device detected: Cisco PD

Mar 23 21:07:33.353: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi1/0/33: Power granted

Mar 23 21:07:33.794: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi1/0/33: PD removed

What little I could find, I am hesitant to do as I am not sure whether this is the rightful answer and while checking out the command was unable to find part of the command available.  Below is the link.

https://community.merunetworks.com/merunetworks/topics/aps_connected_to_cisco_poe_switch_are_continuously_powering_on_and_off

Here is the port configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/33

switchport access vlan 226

switchport mode access

shutdown

end

Yes, I have shut it down at this point only as a precautionary measure.

Lastly, this is in a university apartment/dorm so, have yet to go see what might be connected to the wall jack as it is a remote site.

Any answers/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Smellring,

Possible that the device that is plugged into the port may be using the wrong poe standard.

Several years ago, I used the command(Switch (config-if)# Power inline delay shutdown 20 initial 45) that is referenced in the link you posted to resolve an issue with cisco ip phones that used 802.3af poe, which were plugged into a cisco switch that used cisco pre standard poe,. The phones would never come up, they just continously restarted every 20 or 30 seconds.

to determine what type of device that is plugged into the switchport, you can do a

show mac-address-table interface g0/0

Then go to macvendorlookup website and enter the mac.  This will tell you the manufacturer of the mac/device.

Hope this helps,

if so, please rate.

Hi Cehill,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I did attempt your suggestion and was not able to get a MAC address from the command your recommended, even after turning the port back on and wait a few minutes to allow for communication.

The logging went back to the same messages so, I shut down the port again.  Looks like a physical visit will need to be made in order to see what exactly is connected at the jack end.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question as well as explain what might be causing this issue.

Your welcome.

Did the show mac command return an error or did it just not return a mac address?

Depending on the ios, the command may be

show mac address-table interface g0/0

or

show mac-address-table interface g0/0.

This is what I received with the command I used.  :-)

sho mac address-table int g1/0/33
          Mac Address Table
-------------------------------------------

Vlan    Mac Address       Type        Ports
----    -----------       --------    -----

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card