Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface "flapping"

abimadaro4462
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have Nexus 9000 switches connected to ASA FWs, while I'm checking the log I've found the below;

%ETHPORT-5-SPEED: Interface Ethernet1/1, operational speed changed to 1 Gbps
%ETHPORT-5-IF_DUPLEX: Interface Ethernet1/1, operational duplex mode changed to Full
%ETHPORT-5-IF_RX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet1/1, operational Receive Flow Control state changed to off
%ETHPORT-5-IF_TX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet1/1, operational Transmit Flow Control state changed to off
%ETHPORT-5-IF_UP: Interface Ethernet1/1 is up in mode access
%ETHPORT-5-SPEED: Interface Ethernet1/2, operational speed changed to 1 Gbps
%ETHPORT-5-IF_DUPLEX: Interface Ethernet1/2, operational duplex mode changed to Full
%ETHPORT-5-IF_RX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet1/2, operational Receive Flow Control state changed to off
%ETHPORT-5-IF_TX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet1/2, operational Transmit Flow Control state changed to off
%ETHPORT-5-IF_UP: Interface Ethernet1/2 is up in mode access

All interface are connected using 1G UTP transceivers. I'm not able to know what is reason behind such error noting that for now in 24 hours it happened one time only but since they are hosting critical services I'm trying to specify the reason of that.

Your advise please.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check the Physical Cables connected make sure they are intact. if that confirms all the cables are ok

is this port-channel?

try from the switch side : (traffic may have interrupted, while doing in production, do it in maintenance mode)

no negotiate auto

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,
No this is normal access port which is not member of any port-channel.
I will plan for such test.

Hello

Check for possible power or interface resets.

sh interfaces
sh interface xx transceivers

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,
Transceivers are OK, they are present. As for reset, I've noticed some resets on the interfaces but only 1 reset on most interface.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You have to check some:

1. Physical Media.

2. Have you checked the Negotiation Issue? 

3. Any Power or Cable length issue?

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello,
Physically things are OK so far, Negotiation is auto on both sides, switches haven't been rebooted so no power issues actually and cable length is less than 100 M.

When you mentioned they are not part of port-channel ? how these 2 interface connected to ASA ? in and Out:?

can you post the interface config also.

Both interface information.

show run interace ethe 0/0

show interace ethe 0/0

Try also no negotiation and let us know ( what ASA Model is this ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card