Views
Helpful
Replies

Interfaces on ASR-1002x won't come up

chet imhoff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working on an ASR-1002x and am having issues getting the interfaces to come up when I am connected to another device. I am currently connecting to a Cisco 2960-X. I am using GLC-TE SFPs in both the chassis and the SPA.

Is this the correct SFP for Ethernet connectivity? Please advise on what I may be doing wrong here.

GLC-TE

Cisco 1000BASET SFP Module

The Cisco 1000BASE-T SFP Module supports bidirectional serial data over shielded and unshielded twisted pair, category 5 cables.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi did they even suggest it maybe the software causing it before replacing hardware , im running this below  and its working ok on this image , we test all our versions though MVM scanning for vulnerabilities before deploying so its a stable image , Prime PSIRT brings it back clean too it maybe worth an shot changing the version to this as a test if TAC haven't found anything yet

xxxxxxx#sh ver | i asr
System image file is "bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin"

xxxxxxxx#sh inventory | i G
NAME: "SPA subslot 0/0", DESCR: "Built-in GE SPA with 2 port 10G and 6 port 1G Interfaces"
PID: BUILT-IN-2T+6X1GE , VID:    , SN:
NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 2", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: ABCU-5710RZ-CS5   , VID: B2  , SN: AGM200747ZC
NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 3", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: ABCU-5710RZ-CS5   , VID: B2  , SN: AGM200747Z9

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Hello,

Please check compatibility matrix for sfps:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html

If you are connecting to 10Gb ports you may need to manually set the speed to 1000. What are the log messages you see when you try to bring interfaces up/plug in sfps?

Thanks,

Nenad

Nenad,

I am connecting to 1Gb ports.

I don't see anything in the logs on the switch or the router in regards to the interface.

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes I have them running in ASR routers , have you tried turn off negotiation like below and then hard set speed , hardset both sides on 2960 too

As well check if GLT is being seen by router in inventory and interface level

xxxx#sh int g0/0/0 | i media
  Full Duplex, 1000Mbps, link type is force-up, media type is T

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 description XXXXX
 speed 1000
 no negotiation auto
 cdp enable
 ip virtual-re

EDIT: another thing check what version of GLCT your using some very old ones don't seem to be supported but the 02 version works fine....30-1301-02

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I have hard coded the interface on the ASR and the 2960 - still no luck:

ASR
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 no ip address
 speed 1000
 no negotiation auto
 cdp enable
 ip virtual-reassembly

NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 0", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: SP7041-TE         , VID: A1  , SN: MTC20150A9R

GigabitEthernet0/0/0 is down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is 6XGE-BUILT-IN, address is a03d.6fb4.db00 (bia a03d.6fb4.db00)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not supported
  Full Duplex, 1000Mbps, link type is force-up, media type is T

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/34
 switchport mode access
 switchport nonegotiate
 speed 1000
 duplex full
 spanning-tree portfast
end

GigabitEthernet2/0/34 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
  Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 64ae.0c03.2ca2 (bia 64ae.0c03.2ca2)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX

Also, I did check the GLC-TE part number and it is: 30-1475-01... Could that be the issue? I was concerned I did not get the correct SFPs?

If its a new SFP I would have thought it would work fine I have ran into issues with older SFPs before working in newer platforms they just don't come up  , I cant say that's exactly it but I do have a 2960 connected to an ASR at the minute and the code on the GLTs is 30-1410-02.. is the exact code , trying to see if I can find a doc that states it though , the fact though the SFP registered might suggest its good as when they wouldn't work for me I couldn't even see them in inventory

Your config there is identical to what I have both sides , your not going through a patch panel this is direct and still not working , you have confirmed cable works ok ?

Mark,

I am going directly from the router to the switch - no patch panel. I have tried brand new Cat5e patch and Cat6 patch cables. I'm going to open a Cisco TAC case... I'll let you know what they say.

Yes please do i would be interested to know exactly what there take is on it

We use 1000BASE SFP in our ASR 1001-X and others devices, but they are called GLC-T not TE. Never heared of "TE".

NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 7", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: SP7041_Rev_F , VID: F , SN: MTC1837xxxx

In the past we often encountered issues with those GLC-T SFPs. Often only a IOS-upgrade helped. One day, a router did not show any ports with GLC-T in it as up (CLI and LED wise), but the connected devices showed their ports to the router as up up...

I know the below is for the SPA, but its the same compatibility as the built in 6 port SPA. I don't see a GLC-T....

Also, Cisco RMA'd the ASR chassis because TAC couldn't figure out why the interfaces weren't coming up. I have installed the new chassis but still have the same issues so we will see what they follow up with.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/shared_port_adapters/install_upgrade/ASR1000/asr_sip_spa_hw/ASRintro.html#76561

5-Port Gigabit Ethernet SPA

• SFP-GE-S
  • SFP-GE-L
  • SFP-GE-T
  • GLC-TE
  • SFP-GE-Z
  • GLC-BX-D
  • GLC-BX-U
  • GLC-LH-SMD
  • GLC-SX-MMD
  • GLC-GE-100FX=
  • GLC-EX-SMD
  • GLC-ZX-SMD
  • DWDM
  • CWDM

Hi did they even suggest it maybe the software causing it before replacing hardware , im running this below  and its working ok on this image , we test all our versions though MVM scanning for vulnerabilities before deploying so its a stable image , Prime PSIRT brings it back clean too it maybe worth an shot changing the version to this as a test if TAC haven't found anything yet

xxxxxxx#sh ver | i asr
System image file is "bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin"

xxxxxxxx#sh inventory | i G
NAME: "SPA subslot 0/0", DESCR: "Built-in GE SPA with 2 port 10G and 6 port 1G Interfaces"
PID: BUILT-IN-2T+6X1GE , VID:    , SN:
NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 2", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: ABCU-5710RZ-CS5   , VID: B2  , SN: AGM200747ZC
NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 3", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: ABCU-5710RZ-CS5   , VID: B2  , SN: AGM200747Z9

They did not suggest I use different software but I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot.

I used that exact image for the 1002-x and it solved the issue.

Router#show ver | i asr
System image file is "bootflash:asr1002x-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin"

I have learned my lesson.... Check software before I get TAC involved - although I am surprised they did not suggest updating software before a RMA.

Thanks so much for your help!

Ah great good to know its working and was a software issue

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have purchased a used ASR1002-5G/K9 with the following from show version:

ROM: IOS-XE ROMMON

AccumulusGateway uptime is 14 hours, 32 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 14 hours, 34 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System image file is "bootflash:/asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.03.04.02.S.151-3.S2.bin"
Last reload reason: PowerOn

We purchased these transceivers and when we plug them in there is a message stating that they have been inserted or alternatively removed when we perform that action.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U77IJ2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However even though we've set the s peed 1000, no shutdown, duplex auto, no negotiation auto, AND the cisco switch shows the connection leds are green the ASR1002 has the led as yellow.

Also it seems this download requires some kind of support account or contract to use:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282993672/type/282046477/release/3.16.10S

Please advise.  If there is a specific transceiver we need to use for our version please also advise.

Thanks,

Carl

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card