Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet network auto-switching

preetham.66666
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have a two ISP for internet.

we are looking if one ISP down another one has to another one has to serve.

Please share cisco device which is capable of doing same thing and also guide me how to configure on the same. Please let me know required more information

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's quite a big subject.

The short answer is a router can do this but you need the right router for the bandwidth. And if you have dual ISPs then do you want two routers for redundancy ?

Other considerations -

1) what IP addressing do you have from the ISPs - this one has a direct impact on the design

2) are you hosting any internal servers for access from the internet

3) do you have a firewall

4) are you exchanging routes with your ISPs

etc.

We can't really help without knowing the above and even then we cant do the whole thing for you ie. design and configuration as it can get quite complex.

We can point you in the right direction though. You need answers to the above questions and then we can tell you what you can and can't do etc.

Jon

1)what IP addressing do you have from the ISPs - this one has a direct impact on the design

IPV4

2)are you hosting any internal servers for access from the internet

No

3)do you have a firewall

yes .firewall acts router as well (Junifer).our isp n/w directly connected to our firewall

4)are you exchanging routes with your ISPs

No. One ISPs to use internet and other ISPs transfer traffic from one branch to another.

In terms of addressing I meant do you use public IPs assigned from the ISP or do you have your own provider independent public IPs ?

A lot depends on the capability of the Juniper firewall but this is a Cisco site.

If one ISP is for internet and the other for branch traffic then how are you going to failover ie. they don't do the same thing.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card