cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan routing issue

srflanigan4234
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a home network project and have run into a configuration problem.

I have two vlans, one switch, (2950) and one router (2621.)  Unfortunately, I cannot configure a router-on-a-stick on my router due to an older version of flash and will not allow me to configure encapsulation dot1q, so I am doing a two-interface vlan network.

The two vlans can communicate with each other and the WAN when the switch is used as a pass though but when I assign the ports to a vlan, all communication comes to a halt. 

I have gone over my configurations and they seem OK, but I obviously am missing something.  I have scoured my text books and cannot find any information about configuring a two interface vlan network; everything is targeted to router-on-a-stick.

I am assuming that since each router interface is a separate vlan, the interface from the switch to the router do not have to be set up as trunks.  That being said, not needed also is VTP and since only one switch is being used, neither is STP.

What am I missing?  Can someone thow some ideas my way configuration wise that can jar my memory here.

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Steve,

When you're assigning your ports to the vlan, are you also assigning the router port that's connected to the switch to the same vlan?

fa0/0 - vlan 1

fa0/1 - vlan 10

Fa0/0 wouldn't be changed on the port that connects to the switch, but for the port that fa0/1 connects to on the switch, you'd need to make it an access port for vlan 10. The hosts that you want to communicate would also be configured as access ports on vlan 10. You should be able to ping the router from that point.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Dale Miller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

If I follow you correctly you want to do intervlan routing on the 2950 with two SVIs? The 2950 is layer 2 only and will require a router to route between the VLANs. Or do you have two access ports to the router with each interface on the router in different subnets? If so, can you share your configurations?

Thanks,

Dale

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card