Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid MAC address for HSRP VIP.

Hi folks, I have a small issue with HSRP. There is a VLAN where all servers are able to rely on the VIP address of a HSRP group, except one, which is giving invalid MAC address (00-00-00-00-00-00) for the VIP IP address on server ARP table. I checked the ARP resolution from L3 and access switches and I can resolve the MAC address and also I can ping sucessfuly. Changed the default gateway from the VIP to the physical address of the active gateway and the server was reachable over the network, but by returning the default gateway IP address to the HSRP VIP for the server setting, the server become unreachable and server still cannot ping the VIP, just others IP addresses from this subnet.

Server was reachable from both HSRP pairs, but server can't get the right MAC address for the VIP address from HSRP.

What could be the issue? I'm suspecting that the problem could be the server NIC, as I checked from devices perspective and no issue found.

Thank you all!

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If all other servers are able to communicate using the MAC from the VIP of HSRP then it suggests tht the problem is something related to the one server. Can you tell us what kind of server, and what OS it is running?

Is there any chance that if you move the server to a different port (or perhaps to a different switch) that it would process the HSRP ok?

Is there any chance that if you change the HSRP configuration to a different group that the server would process HSRP ok?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick, how are you doing? I hope well.

The OS for this server is W2k3. After server was moved to another port, the server started to get the network through VIP, but after some time, it stopped to reply. Since server is not managed by me, I will request the ARP table output to check if it stills getting the same issue. I will wait for tech to move to move the port again and check the ARP table, but in another day. As of now, I'm not allowed to perform any change on network.

Thanks!

After one decade ago, that's me replying this post.

The problem found was one of the interfaces which are in an port-channel group in a module which was giving some log messages for this interface. I'm not sure (I'm in a vacation), but this may be related to the issue documented (bug ID CSCdu03935) at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a0080118a51.shtml

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card